the-good-doctor
the-good-doctor, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Medical Doctor
55099014

I am currently going through withdrawal from Duloxetine,

I am currently going through withdrawal from Duloxetine, which had been precribed for anxiety and depression, as some of the side effects I reported to my psychiatrist were "worrying". He did not warn me that "cold turkey withdrawal, which he recommended, would lead to such severe withdrawals and was on holiday during the period immediately after I had stopped, so I I now feel like I have a very bad case of flu., but I am coping otherwise. I would be grateful if one of your mental health specialists could indicate how long this is likely to continue, and will withdrawal begin to feel less severe over time.. . I stopped taking 2 tablets daily on 23rd Dec.
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: I started to feel agitated/manic, and unable to sleep for several days, about 25th Dec. and this continued for 5 days. After that, I began to feel very dizzy and nauseous, and had a pounding headache. These symptoms, plus extreme lethargy and muscle aches, fever etc. have continued since 30th Dec. I have spoken with my GP twice, and been prescribed zopiclone to help with sleep, to be taken as needed, and then anti-nausea meds- anti-hisamines- which have helped somewhat with nausea. I also made an appoint. and saw another psych. on friday, but he spent the hour talking about an alternative anti-depressant and implied that he was unwilling to discuss the duloxetine withdrawal as it had been prescribed by a differnt Doctor.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have got GAD and personality disorder issues: social anxiety and OCD. (since childhood, I'm now 65) I also take 75 mg Thyroxine daily for Hypothyroid. I have severe Osteoarthritis.

Hello. I'm The Good Dr., licensed and practicing physician. Excellent service is my goal.

still need help?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yes, thank you. I sent a message to the psychiatrist who had prescribed the duloxetine asking the questions I asked above, but have had no reply, and I have been relying on looking up information on online sites which give no further other than reiterating withdrawl symptoms. I would be grateful if you could let try to answer my question. I suffer from GAD and although I am still taking 2 x 150mg Pregabalin, I am still feeling extremely anxious, which the uncertainty about prognosis is exacerbating.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have no access to a phone at present.

so you went from 60 mg to zero?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yes, over 3 days.

okay that is not safe

I would recommend going back on 30 mg for one month then stopping

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thak you. Please can you tell me why this is not safe? (As I have GAD all the worst case scenarios begin playing out whilst I find myself brooding on why and what could/t will happen if you don't indicate why there is a safety issue.Given that I have not been taking any duloxetine for the past week, and have none at present, would you recommend that I see my GP to prescribe 30mg tablets, and to initiate a slow tapering programme thereafter, following advice on Online Patient Forums etc.?.

just the severity of the withdrawal

it can lead to severe depression and suicide

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok, thank you.The psychiatrist whom I saw last week did not indicate that he thought I needed to reesume Duloxetine at the moment, but seemed more eager o persuade me to start taking aglomelatine. Do you know whether taking Aglomelatine, at an intial low dose, would be a safe subsitiute for Duloxetine, or is it best to follow your recommendation of taking 30mg and redcuing to sero over i month, befor considering any alternative treatments.

I would go back on the duloxetine

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you. I will speak to my G.P. about it.

very welcome :)