Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have had a dry cough for a full month now - I can’t lie

Hi Pearl, I have had a dry cough for a full month now - I can’t lie flat in bed, my appetite has finished greatly, and my rib on my right side feels like I’ve been kicked. It REALLY hurts to cough and it hurts (less so) to breathe for the last 4 or so days. Should I be concerned?
Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: that’s all in my initial email
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Are you a real person or algorythm?

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Any fever with this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No

Even so, yes--you should be concerned about this

There are two possibilities for this--

Pneumonia

Or a pulmonary embolus--a clot in a lung vein

You may even have cracked a rib with the coughing

You need to see your doctor as soon as possible for an exam, blood work, a chest x-ray and most likely you're going to need a course of oral antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am concerned now. Is a pulmonary embolism very serious/life threatening? I am at the NHS drop-in Soho Sq. I’m meeting a nurse, will she and they have the facilities to help?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I book an apt with my doc it usually takes about 2 weeks. Will they expedite for me in light of the seriousness?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
FYI - you have taken the money out of my account, however no phone call is due to take place - pls can you ensure it is refunded - thanks

It's serious but not life threatening

The nurse can definitely help with the evaluation

You won't be charged for the phone call

Please remember to rate my service to you so I can get credit for my time with you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** sent the 5* rating. I ideally need to get back to the office. As it is not life threatening - I should be ok to see a nurse at my doc’s at 8am tomorrow morning?

Tomorrow morning is soon enough

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****

Entirely my pleasure

I'm here if you ever need me again