Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

I have a question for a doctor please

I have a question for a doctor please

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Please quote your health query.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My dad, aged 73, just had a CT scan due to indigestion.
All was clear with stomach etc but they found a small dark spot on one lung.
He does not have a chest infection.What does this mean?
Is this the same as a lung nodule and therefore only 5% chance of cancer?

I am typing some questions please.

1. Does he have any respiratory symptoms?

2. Any fever?

3. Any unexplained weight loss or loss of appetite please?

4. Any intense cough or sputum production?

5. Can you upload the report please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No to all of the above
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has indigestion
He had h pylori which has now gone
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But still he has indigestion. Is that a sign of lung cancer

No please.

This does not seem like a sign of lung cancer.

Usually as clinicians we see such nodules all the time.

"If you need more help, please reply to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, your 5-star rating (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort) at this time is greatly appreciated".

Did you get my response please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But is that what the dark spot is? A nodule? And can indigestion be a symptom?

No indigestion cannot cause such nodules in the lung.

It could as well be an opposing blood vessel too.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I mean can indigestion be a sign of lung cancer?And is a dark spot the same as a nodule?

Indigestion cannot be sign of lung cancer - but unexplained loss of appetite and weight loss can be.

Coming to your 2nd question - I can tell the dark spot or nodule only if I see the image or the report please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't have a report. The doctor just said a small dark spot but I'm confused about that as apparently the lungs show up black on a ct scan so how can there be a dark spot? Is a dark spot a nodule?

It could be a nodule - but lung nodules are very common in general population please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is thay what is meant be a dark spot?What are the chances of cancer?

As he does not have any respiratory symptoms - I would not consider at all.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is sometimes short of breath but this has been for many years and he was tested for this at the time and nothing was found

Then you can be rest assured please.

May I request for a 5 - star positive rating so that I can get my professional credit please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If it was cancer that has spread from another location would there be lung symptoms then?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also he sometimes has trouble swallowing his food but they thought that was indigestion related.

Even then - there would be the symptoms which are related to primary cancer whcih he is not having and even then there should be lung symptoms - even if it is a secondary involving the lung.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That is reassuring.How about the occasional trouble swallowing?

May be gastroesophageal reflux associated please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
you would not be alarmed?He has no chest infection so what would cause the dark spot?

No please as there have not been any constitutional symptoms please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is the cause of the dark spot if mo infection though?
May be a trapped air pocket or opposing blood vessels or fibrosis.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay. Is it a bad sign that he has no chest infection to explain the dark spot?
No it's not.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hope it will turn out to he nothing.
I too wish so.
I am happy that my interaction was helpful for you and put your mind at ease. In future you can opt me as your favorite medical expert so that you can ask me a question directly. I will be happy to help anytime.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry to bother you, but I just saw this, so that sounds like almost half of these nodules are cancerous!About 40 percent of pulmonary nodules turn out to be cancerous. Half of all patients treated for a cancerous pulmonary nodule live at least five years past the diagnosis. But if the nodule is one centimeter across or smaller, survival after five years rises to 80 percent. That's why early detection is critical.
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/urmc.www.rochester.edu › encyclopedia › content
Pulmonary Nodules - Health Encyclopedia - University of Rochester ...
We cannot decide about the prognosis of a nodule based on one single statement without seeing at image or the report please.
All the more important will be the symptoms.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But you can have loung cancer with no symptoms cant you?

Yes - but please upload the report.

I said symptoms are important because any imaging or investigative procedure has to be interpreted in conjuncture with the clinical signs and symptoms please.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We don't have the report. :-(
All I know is that the CT was for indigestion so they checked liver, stomach, pancreas, kidneys. They were all clear.
The smal dark shadow on the lung was found incidentally.
And has been "urgently referred" to the chest doctor - that is why I am worried.
My dad has no symptoms.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How worried should we be, do you think?

No need to panic - any lung shadow will be referred to avoid delay and nothing else.

Referral does not mean - it is bad please.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has an appointment now at the oncology department.
Is this a bad sign or are all lung shadows looked at in oncology?He also said he has burning pain low down in the middle of his chest.
Would this be from indigestion or can it be a sign of lung cancer?

All lung shadows are usually referred please.

The burning pain is usually suggestive of indigestion.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
a burning pain is not the sort of pain you get with lung cancer?And is it normal to be referred to "oncology" rather than another department?

I am replying and asking questions in another thread - please do not reply to this post.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
More info here now: The scan shows a 16mm cavitating lesion at the bottom of the lung.What does this mean?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please help me! I don't know if this is good or bad.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you there dr sumanth