Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have a question for you

I have a question for you

How may I help you, please?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
JustAnswerAsk a question
Finish by rating
Dr.SumanthOnline now
I have a question for a doctor please
Dr.Sumanth Doctor
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.

Kind regards - Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Dr.Sumanth Doctor
Please quote your health query.

My dad, aged 73, just had a CT scan due to indigestion.
All was clear with stomach etc but they found a small dark spot on one lung.
He does not have a chest infection.

What does this mean?
Is this the same as a lung nodule and therefore only 5% chance of cancer?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry something weird pasted in at the top

Any asymptomatic lung nodule (termed incidental finding of no clinical significance) which is less than 1 cm can be left alone.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
I don't know the size. They just said a small dark spot. Is that the same as a nodule?
They asked if he had a chest infection, which he doesn't and said he needs a rescue to rule out cancer.

As discussed a small dark spot (nodule) has an extremely low incidence (nearing zero) of cancer.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Then why did they mention cancer and ask for another scan?

This is just for precaution/reconfirmation.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
And I am confused as websites talk of nodules showing up white on scans.

So is the dark spot that was seen a nodule??
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Is a dark spot s nodule?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Are they the same thing?

Yes, they are the same thing.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Is it a bad sign that he has no chest infection to explain this dark spot?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Also. I just saw this, so how can the chance of it being cancerous be close to zero?

About 40 percent of pulmonary nodules turn out to be cancerous. Half of all patients treated for a cancerous pulmonary nodule live at least five years past the diagnosis. But if the nodule is one centimeter across or smaller, survival after five years rises to 80 percent. That's why early detection is critical.
https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/urmc.www.rochester.edu › encyclopedia › content
Pulmonary Nodules - Health Encyclopedia - University of Rochester ...

This is the latest 2019 review;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6784443/

The cross-references are in the brackets.

Strongly associated with the probability of malignancy, nodule size represents a cornerstone in nodule assessment in all recommended algorithms.[1,2,3,4] Based on observations in high-risk patients from lung cancer screening trials,[10,84] a cut diameter below 6 mm is proposed by most recent guidelines as an indicator of acceptably low cancer risk (<1%).[1,4] The same cutoff applies for both solitary and multiple solid nodules as well as for solitary subsolid nodules.[1,4] A second clinically relevant cutoff diameter is >8 mm. Using data from the NELSON trial, a high lung cancer probability of 9.7% can be estimated for solid nodules ≥8 mm compared to an intermediate probability of about 1% in those smaller than 8 mm (and larger than 5 mm).[2,84]

This is the latest guideline;

https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2017161659

Wishing him a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you for the links.
I hope it's nothing. Just worried as they want a rescan but your links say no need so I wonder if it looked suspicious

You may ask a rescan at 3 months. A biopsy is not needed.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Then isn't it worrying that they say he needs a rescan now?

The CT was for indigestion so they checked liver, stomach, pancreas, kidneys. They were all clear.
The small dark shadow on the lung was found incidentally.
And has been "urgently referred" to the chest doctor - that is why I am worried.
My dad has no symptoms.

Doctors work on high caution and that helps the patients too. He is not urgently referred for being cancer but to rule out the chance of cancer which is less than 2-3%.

Your anxiety is not beneficial for you, your father or the family.

A logical thing is to get it further evaluated which is being done and in all probability come normal.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated for my time.

You are not charged extra for providing a positive rating.

Just Answer is based on the honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Sending good, healthy vibes your way.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
So you don't think the urgent referral is because the dark spot looked suspicious?
All the doctor said was that it was a small dark spot and that it needed to be looked at to rule out cancer.
No other info.

As we discussed this is being further investigated just for precaution and the chance of cancer is extremely low.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I hope so.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Can you please tell me if lung issues can cause sickness/indigestion by causing more acid?
I just read it on a forum and am worried that lung issues may have been the cause of my dad's indigestion.

Lung issue is highly unlikely to cause indigestion.