Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I haven’t had a period for 4 months. I’m not pregnant and

I haven’t had a period for 4 months. I’m not pregnant and was diagnosed with PCOS many years ago. I’ve always had a period with a 35 day cycle but concerned something is wrong. This is not normal.

Hello and welcome.

How was the diagnosis of PCOS made?

Do you use anything for birth control?

Have you had more stress or weight change lately? Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello, I was bleeding between periods years ago and had an ultrasound scan which found small cysts on my ovaries. No I am not on any birth control. I had some stress at work but that is over now. No weight changes.

Sorry for the delay. I was awau/

An ultrasound is not considered a very good way to make a diagnosis of PCOS, so that may or may not be a correct diagnosis. In any case, it's not unusual in women with PCOS to miss a period for 4 months. It generally would be due to not ovulating for that period.

It may also be related to your age. All women tend to ovulate less regularly and miss periods once they approach 35. It's not likely to be anything serious, but it's probably best to see your doctor about it. If you go too long without a period, you're more likely to have a very heavy or very prolonged period. Your doctor could give you some progesterone to bring on a period, and that would help to prevent troublesome bleeding. Best regards.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you so much for your reply. Which investigation is best to diagnose PCOS?

PCOS is primarily a condition of not ovulating. There are many ramifications that result from not ovulating, including increased male hormones and often increased hair growth, as well as something called insulin resistance. Being overweight is common with PCOS, and if a woman with PCOS is able to lose weight, she will often begin ovulating, and the condition may no longer exist. The multiple small follicles often seen with PCOS are small follicles (eggs) that never ripen.

With your regular 35 day cycle, I doubt that you really have PCOS. To find out, I would recommend seeing an OB/GYN doctor or endocrinology specialist. I suspect that you probably don't have PCOS, but you may. In any case, you probably haven't ovulated for 4 months, but that is a minor problem.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you for explaining and advice moving forward.

You're very welcome.

Thank you for your payment and rating.