Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I noticed a round red patch of dry skin on my son's (13)

Hello, I noticed a round red patch of dry skin on my son's (13) shoulder - he had not noticed it as he cannot see that part of his body. It has grown in size over the last ten days and I have taken a photo on 1st Jan and on 12th Jan so you can see it and how it has grown. Would you be able to take a look at the photos and give me an opinion please?
JA: The Dermatologist can help. To begin, when did dry skin first appear? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: tbh I could not say when it appeared - only that I noticed it on 1st January and it look an unusual shape so I took a photo in order to monitor it. No we have not used any medication.
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a dermatologist about dry skin?
Customer: no
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Dermatologist should know?
Customer: no. thanks

Please upload the picture.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi - both pics attached. one taken 1st Jan, one taken 12th Jan

I am reviewing the images and will get back to you in a few minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.

Does the patch itch?

Does it pain when touched?

Does your son have dandruff?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no to all three questions

This looks like a patch of eczema - also called atopic dermatitis.

Atopic dermatitis usually occurs in response to an allergen and may be linked to an overactive response by the body's immune system to an irritant.

In most cases, it is itchy. But in mild cases (such as in your son) it may not itch or cause any discomfort.

Please a mild steroid cream like 1% Cortisone, available without a prescription. Apply a good moisturiser like coconut oil or almond oil 1 hour after the steroid to keep the area well moisturized.

You should see the spot disappearing in about 4-5 days.

I hope this helps.
Please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
OK thank you very much.

You are welcome.