Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

A Heart Doctor sent me for a ct scan and whilst looking at

A Heart Doctor sent me for a ct scan and whilst looking at my heart it saw the top of the lung and he told me I had a pneumatocele but that he had no idea whom to refer me to. First how serious is a pneumatocele and secondly will it clear up on its own?
Hi.Welcome to just answer.I am caring doc.I can help you today.
A pneumatocele is a cavity in the lung parenchyma filled with air that may result from pulmonary trauma,or post on infection like pneumonia.
It is not a serious condition and treatment is usually the treatment of underlying cause.
For example if you have lung infection ,treating the infection will resolve it and if it's traumatic only monitoring is done until it resolves.
In general, an uncomplicated pneumatocele carries an excellent prognosis. A complete resolution of the pneumatocele is the most common outcome.
You should get an appointment from pulmonologist and get an evaluation for possible cause and further management.
But yes most pneumatoceles resolve completely in a few weeks to months on their own.
I hope it helps.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you that is very helpful.
Thanks alot and best wishes.