Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I would like to add some muscle as I’m very skinny. Could

I would like to add some muscle as I’m very skinny. Could you kindly advise me please ?I’m 49 year old male with pre diabetes.

Diet and physical activity will built up your muscles.

Cycling, jogging, mild weight lifting, brisk walking will help.

The following diet would be advised;

1) One may take dietary supplements, but one needs a balanced diet more. Help oneself to nuts and dairy products.

2) Add pistachios to the diet. Make them his evening munchies, as they help lower the risk of heart disease. Other snack ideas include whole wheat or multi-grain bread/ soy sticks with hummus or peanut butter. Opt for salsa dips as they are high on fiber and very healthy. Increase liquid intake

3) A small glass of wine before the evening meal will help appreciate food a whole lot more. Also, avoid drinking water before meals and in between meals,

4) Choose food with nutritional calories and increase the intake of starchy foods like potatoes. Avoid junk food.

Eat plenty of healthy fats. Eat egg yolks, chicken, fish, coconut oil, and other healthy fats. Increase caloric. So those bananas count well here.

Whole eggs: loaded with protein, vitamins A, D, E, and good cholesterol.

The vital fatty acids in tuna contain a host of healthy fats, which not only aid in weight gain but also help in maintaining physical well-being.

Whole wheat bread: accounts for approximately 69 calories per slice.

Peanut butter gives approximately 192 calories plus it is extra high in protein.

Energy bars - It is loaded with good-for-you nuts and oats. One bowl packs around 500 calories.

Cheese - One serving of cheddar cheese packs a good 69 calories. Cheese is concentrated milk, so it is high in protein and calcium, fat, cholesterol and cheese calories.

Oil - choose olive oil, canola oil, etc. which is good for health and will add those much-needed calories too.

Banana - One banana contains approximately 100 calories. Bananas are rich in carbs and nutritious.

Oats: A bowl of oatmeal is the perfect nutritious breakfast. It is high in fiber, and it also provides the body with vital nutrients.

Yogurt: The healthy fruit-flavored, fatless yogurt can give you as much as 118 calories.

Again remember, exercises like brisk walking would help further, apart from diet, as it prevents the accumulation of visceral fat.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Really good advice. Many thanks.Do I eat dinner before or after workout ?
How long shall I workout for ?
Can I eat tuna from tin ?You mention Potatoes and Energy bars aren't these not good for someone with pre diabetes ?

You are very welcome.

Occasional potatoes and energy bars may not be bad if you are doing a good work out. Around 45-60 minute work out 5 days a week would be recommended.

Tuna from the tin can be consumed.

Dinner should be done one hour later of the workouts.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I shall give you 5 stars for your excellent advice.You mention soy sticks. Do you mean Soya Sticks ?
Can you send me link of which Soya Stick to buy in UK please ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Many thanks for the links.

Very welcome.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
By the way, what do you recommend that I eat and drink before a workout ?

Banana, coconut water, Gatorade are good.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I wanted to take a protein shake, should that be taken before or after exercise ?Can you kindly send me a link of which is a good Coconut drink to take (ie. one with no or low sugar) ?