Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My period is 6 days late and pregnancy tests are negative

Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: No pain, my period is on time every month
Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No

Were you using any contraceptive?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have sore breasts, nausea, headaches, and lower back pain

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

A blood test is necessary for the first week of missed period to know exactly about the pregnancy. The home urine pregnancy test is not sensitive enough to detect the pregnancy hormone in the first week of the missed period. The only blood test can exactly tell whether you are pregnant or not.

The other way is to wait for further 3 days and if your period does not come, you may do a home pregnancy test again, which in the second week is able to tell with reasonable certainty as pregnancy hormone is raised in urine, by this time.

Apart from pregnancy, there are other causes of missed or delayed periods also;

1) Ovarian hormone dysfunctions

2) Thyroid hormone abnormalities

3) Stress, anxiety, emotional disorders

4) Sudden weight loss or gain

5) Excessive physical activity

6) Hyperprolactinemia

Read the resource under the heading secondary amenorrhea;

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/amenorrhea/symptoms-causes/syc-20369299

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/001219.htm

The laboratory testing done for the absence of period (termed as secondary amenorrhea) should include measurements of serum prolactin, thyrotropin, and FSH to test for hyperprolactinemia, thyroid disease, and ovarian failure.

The screening tests for the patient with amenorrhea include urinary HCG, complete blood count, sedimentation rate, thyroid function, prolactin, FSH and LH, and assessment of estrogen status.

Causes of amenorrhea/delayed period are pregnancy, drugs, and systemic diseases, hypothalamic and pituitary amenorrhea, "postpill" amenorrhea; hyperprolactinemia, androgen resistance.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.