Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD
25020506

Should I be worried that a cough lasted 4 months after a

Should I be worried that a cough lasted 4 months after a cold? I got a bad cold in September. It left a bad cough. The cough lingered and only went away completely at the start of January. It is now gone and I feel fine. But I just wonder why it took so long? I am a male 70-year-old. Apert from that I am in excellent health, work full-time, walk 2 hours per day and ski.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: As I say, the cough is now gone completely. It lasted 4 months from the date of the cold. No other symptoms.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No. I have rarely been ill and am on no medication. I am very fit for my age.
Hi.Welcome to just answer.I am caring doc.I can help you today.
There can be few reasons why your cough linger on after the common cold.
First thing that can cause this is post nasal drip that continues even after your acute cold symptoms are gone.This is a constant source of irritation and can cause persistent cough.
Other possible thing is post inflammatory bronchospasm, and it resembles asthma. It’s a tightening of the airways that restricts air flow and is accompanied by cough and wheezing. It’s not asthma, but it’s similar.
Some times the allergies and Acid reflux also contribute to the condition and make the things worse.
In any case if your cough lasts more than 8 weeks,its better to get an evaluation done to rule out any serious underlying cause.
I hope it helps.
Thank you so much!