neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

I am recovering from pneumonia which was diagnosed via X-ray

I am recovering from pneumonia which was diagnosed via X-ray on 3.1.2020. I still feel unwell with night sweats, fatigue and little appetite.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i have been signed off work until beginning of February as it stands. However my query is the following. My follow up X-ray form states the patient has an ill defined consolidation in the right lower lung with possible cavitation. They have marked it red flag which I know isn’t good. Can you please explain what this is as I suspect they suspect something more sinister? I have finished a course of Clarithromycin.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: since New Year’s Day. I am feeling better although not right. I would like the X-ray comments explained a little if possible. The red flag words are a concern for me
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Don’t smoke

Hello -

Ill defined consolidation in the lung with possible cavitation suggests that there is an infection in the right lower lung -- likely related to your pneumonia.

Cavitation happens when there is air and fluid in a circular area on the xray, and suggestive of a possible abscess in the lung -- from the pneumonia.

There are other reasons for cavitation, like blood clots, tumors, granulomas from rheumatologic diseases -- but given your pneumonia, this may mean a serious infection in the lung.

Certainly if you continue to feel unwell (continued fevers, etc), it would be best to get re-evaluated and repeat the chest xray.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why have they marked it with words red flag?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks

This is so your doctor doesn't miss this finding -- as if you aren't getting better -- noting that you have a possible abscess in the lung would warrant further evaluation and treatment.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks, so this doesn’t necessary mean they are looking for cancer?

Cancer is a remote possibility -- but given that this is in the area of your lung infection -- and that you just had pneumonia -- this all points to pneumonia here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I appreciate your help. Thanks

You're welcome, best of luck.