Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I have a defibrillator but i want to get treatment done asap

Customer Question

hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a defibrillator but i want to get treatment done asap femiwand it involves current
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: the thing is im too embarrassed to ask my doctor
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: thats the main issue
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
the treatment involves high intensity focused ultrasound
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 19 days ago.

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 19 days ago.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
sure, thank you
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 19 days ago.

In my opinion this is a safe procedure for you as the treatment area is far enough away from the pacemaker/defibrillator site to avoid causing any problems.

However, due to the highly defensive environment that we know practice in, I expect most clinics offering this procedure will have a blanket policy not to perform it on those with pacemakers/defibrillators in-situ (amongst a number of other contraindications).

I think the sensible next step would be to enquire directly with the clinic you are intending on using (unless you are referring to a handheld device that you are intending to use yourself?).

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 19 days ago.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
would it be okay to email me a quick letter confirming that it would be okay to go ahead as long as the procedure is done nowhere near my defibrillator