Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

I wanted some advice from a Reproductive Endocrinologist, no

Hi there, I wanted some advice from a Reproductive Endocrinologist
JA: The Endocrinologist can help. To begin, any recent weight loss/gain? Are you excessively thirsty?
Customer: no recent weight loss or excessive thrist
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Endocrinologist should know?
Customer: I was diagnosed with Uterine Polyps last year but have since had surgery to remove this.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Please see attached file for recent blood test for PCOS) I was recently diagnosed with PCOS after suspecting this since last year.My symptoms started in December 2018 when I noticed my periods were becoming more thin and watery & I also noticed I wasn't ovulating as I track my BBT every morning. I didn't read too much into it as the following month (Jan 2019) I did ovulate and had a normal period of 5 days. the problems started for me in the cycle following when I noticed again no ovulation occurred and this time my periods was longer lasting about 2 weeks. This is when I then booked an appointment with my GP to make sure all is well. In the meantime my period finished but started again 2 weeks later so essentially I had 2 periods within the same month. Also this time my period lasted 3 weeks!!When I saw my GP they referred me to have a Transvaginal Ultrasound which came back to show PCOS and Uterine Polyps. My GP reassured me that PCOS on ultrasound doesn't mean I have PCOS and so referred me to have bloods done. At the time my blood tests apparently didn't show any signs of PCOS. I also had surgery in October 2019 to remove the polyps. Needless to say my periods have still not returned to normal and are still prolonged reaching 2 weeks although not heavy. I am also still not ovulating thus not producing Progesterone and I believe this is affecting my periods.I took matters into my own hands and had a PCOS Advanced test done at a private clinic in London. I have attached the results. It clearly shows I have PCOS and makes sense as my periods have been all over the place and I'm not ovulating However I am still having periods?? Why am I having periods if I'm not ovulating? Will PCOS have any long term effects on my fertility? Is it worth seeing a specialist or going on the pill?Your response is greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will continue to wait but if noone responds I assume I won’t be charged the £5 ??

Hello and welcome.

I'm not a reproductive endocrinologist, but I am an OB/GYN and have treated many women with PCOS and problems similar to your own. If you would like my assistance, please tell me how old you are and whether you've had any treatment other than removal of the polyps. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I’m 30 of age and had no other treatment
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
30years of age

Are you overweight?

Do you have extra body hair? Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not overweight but have some unwanted extra body hair
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I weigh 57kg
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Never been on contraception either

Thank you. Women tend to have periods, even when they don't ovulate. It's just that the periods won't be regular.

PCOS will definitely affect your fertility. Women with PCOS don't ovulate much, and you can't get pregnant without ovulating. However, most women with PCOS can become pregnant. Sometimes it's with a little help from their doctor.

If you wish to become pregnant at this time, I would see your doctor. Ovulation can be induced using pills each month.

If you don't wish to become pregnant at this time, then progesterone pills taken each month can help make your periods normal. Your uterus doesn't know whether the progesterone comes from your ovaries after ovulation or from a pill.

If you don't wish to become pregnant at this time, going on the pill can be beneficial. It normalizes your hormones and lowers your testosterone. This results in regular periods and less development of extra body hair.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I’ve heard of bio-identical progesterone cream - would you recommend this?

It's one type of progesterone you can use. It's not really much different from Prometrium, which is a pill that is also bio-identical. Either one does the same thing, which is to make your uterus think that you ovulated.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay. Is this something I’d have to take long term or would my body eventually get back its normAl cyclic rhythm?

We still don't understand PCOS very well, or why it happens to so many women. I would recommend that you take progesterone for now, and when you wish to become pregnant, then see an OB/GYN if you're not ovulating.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would the Progesterone pill lower my testosterone and lh levels?

No. Taking the pill, which has estrogen and progesterone, would lower you testosterone and lh levels. Progesterone would just help your period to be normal.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay. I noticed when I change my diet to plant based including supplements and seeds I seem to ovulate so I do believe it’s got something to do with my diet

That could be. Continue with the plant based diet. Don't be too surprised if it doesn't help you to continue to ovulate. But if it does, that would be great. A plant based diet is generally really good.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wow you’ve been very helpful and answered all my questions thoroughly appreciate that. I’m due to see a gynaecologist and nutritionist about this in the next few weeks as I’d like to get to the point where my body is ovulating again by itself without medication

Sounds good. Hopefully they will help you get where you want to go.

Please click the rating stars. Thank you.

Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.

Thank you for your payment and rating. Best wishes to you!