Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My daughter is 18 she is diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa and

My daughter is 18 she is diagnosed with Anorexia Nervosa and is just starting to recover. In one week she has put on 1.2kg which is great, but her bowels aren’t moving, The GP gave her laxido which she has been using for a week and is now up to 3 sachets a day.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I just told you she is on laxido.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Still nothing is moving. We are concerned about laxative addiction which is common in anorexics and wonder if there is anything else we can do?

Hello, my name is Dr Uzair and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Are you experienced in eating disorders?

Actually the bowels are not used to the high protein diet and all the absorptions so gets slow once the patient starts eating well.

I would suggest using glycerine suppositories available OTC for the release of impacted stool in the rectum so that laxido can work.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How do I know there is a stool in the rectum? And; Can i get the glycerine suppositories over the counter?

You can get glycerine suppositories over the counter and the stool will come out after using one.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Also we are concerned about laxative addiction which is common in anorexia patients, is there a probiotic that could help?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

She can use lactobacillus and try not to use a laxative for more than a week. Adding psyllium husk and prunes and plums would help.