Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My daughter has been passing small amounts of mucus,

hello, my daughter has been passing small amounts of mucus, sometimes while passing wind and sometimes while sitting on the toilet, she told us that she had seem white worms in her poop so we treated her for worms around 4 weeks ago, this mucus seems to be once or so every few weeks? She has no other symptoms, her stool can go from quite soft to quite hard and difficult to pass so we are trying to keep her water intake up, we have noticed there may be a correlation between days she has a much higher fat intake in her diet (mucus seems to be the day after this) thanks
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: we've been once and she checked her over, she wasn't constipates but she told us to retreat for worms just incase and gave her some laxatives to 'clear her out' for three days, this was around 4 weeks ago, she is not taking any medications
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: none and no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: she was epileptic as a young girl and was taking Epilim, but has been off medication since May 2019

How old is she?

Has she heartburn, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, gas, burping, tenderness on the abdomen?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello, she is 8 years old, no she has none of those symptoms apart from soft stools, not diarrhea, she sometimes says she has a bad tummy in the morning but we feel this may be hunger pains as she doesn't mention it again throughout the day

She may have a food intolerance or food allergies.

Allergy tests will help to ascertain the cause.

Please read these;

Diet resource for the elimination of the diet when there are food allergies;

http://global.oup.com/us/companion.websites/9780195371109/pdf/00_Mullin_Appendix_3.pdf

Diet resource for what to eat and avoid:

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

She may get a stool test for the evaluation.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks very much for this information, so you don't feel this mucus is anything to be too concerned about? I assume if it was something more sinister it would be continual, not sporadically?

You are very welcome.

There is nothing to worry about.

An episodic mucus is usually due to minor issues or caused by indigestion/food allergies.

Wishing her a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you very much, I really appreciate your help today

You are very welcome.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.