Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I'm concerned as my stools have become yellow. I had 24

I'm concerned as my stools have become yellow. I had 24 hours of d and v Wednesday and Thursday last week, and although I am no longer vomiting my stools are soft (not diarrhea but not normal for me), still yellow, and I have low levels of nausea occasionally. I don't think I have a fever, although I feel sweaty at times (I'm a few years post-menopausal so would not expect to be getting hot flushes). I'm unable to access my GP, the surgery, the NHS health line, or a thermometer (my old fashioned mercury one is broken) and I am seeking reassurance that if I wait till the current crisis is over I won't be making a stupid decision.
JA: How long have you had a fever? Do you have any respiratory symptoms?
Customer: I don't believe I have a fever. I have no respiratory symptoms. I appreciate you are a chat bot but I've put my symptoms in some details and none of them are these.
JA: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the Doctor more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have had my gallbladder removed so it isn't that.

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today.

How many times in a day are you having a bowel movement?

Are you able to tolerate adequate amount of fluids and solid food?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
currently a 2 or 3 times a day. I can now keep food and fluids down without a problem.

Alright, thank you for your response.

You seem to be recovering at this point and it will be okay to stay at home and ride this one out. There is no reason to risk going to the hospital to expose yourself to COVID-19.

I will suggest that you start on a low fiber diet comprising of bananas, applesauce, rice, toast, tea, yogurt, etc.

Keep yourself well-hydrated, well-rested and maintain a healthy diet.

This should settle down within the next 3 to 5 days.

As far as the color of your stool is concerned. It should get better when you are able to retain food longer in your gut, which should happen quicker if you stay on a low fiber diet.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I don't know if I am imagining it but wonder if my liver is slightly aching. Will this settle down to?

Yes, it should settle down. Give it some time.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
OK - many thanks. Have a good day.

You have a good one!

Best wishes.