Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

We are currently in self isolation, due to our daughter

Hi, we are currently in self isolation, due to our daughter having a temperature and cough, however, my son, who will be 5 next month developed some spots yesterday, which have spread about his body today. I’m pretty sure they’re chickenpox. Due to self isolating, I didn’t really want to attend my local pharmacy to ask for advice on treatment. I know a lot of people recommend calamine lotion. Is there anything else he will need. Do I need to give him piriton? Also, are there any other cooling creams or gels etc that I will need to buy to help with the itching? I intend to by what we’ll need online and have it delivered to avoid going out. Thanks for your advice
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: I have 2 children, my daughter will be 3 in June, she developed a cough and a high temperature on 18th which triggered our family’s self isolation, her temp came down after 24 hours, however, she still has a cough, it does not sound dry. My daughter has not developed any spots as yet. My son, who is almost 5 has not had a temperature, has coughed slightly, but I wouldn’t say it was persistent, and yesterday developed a few spots which were consistent with chickenpox. Today there are a lot more of these spots about his body. He does not currently have a temperature.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not as far as I know

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Rest, fluids, paracetamol as required for any fever and calamine lotion (though most other emollients or barrier creams such as Sudocrem will also work).

If you were going to purchase anything more, I suggest Poxclin which does seem to be very soothing and works well:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poxclin-Mousse-Children-Chickenpox-100ml/dp/B003HCCB8M/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?keywords=chicken+pox&qid=1584967561&sr=8-13

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No thank you. Thanks so much for your help Doctor. Take care.

You’re very welcome, all the best.