Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My son has been suffering from cellulitis for about a year

Customer Question

My son has been suffering from cellulitis for about a year and has had several lots of penersilium and has flared again and we cannot get to a doctors because of the viris threat what can I do to help him he is 44 and suffers from diabetes
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, how long have you had diabetes? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: 4 to 5 years on insulen 1.2 injections
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a doctor about diabetes?
Customer: yes under treatment for that
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: he is very over weight and has anxiety 40mgcitalopram per day
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 8 days ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I look forward to answering your question. He should not need to travel to the Drs. His GP can send a prescription to the pharmacy for you to pick up. In the mean time, elevate the affected extremity and apply cold compresses. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I knew that I could contact doctors but was hopping for some advise on how to help him in the mean time, and how to try to stop it happening again.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 days ago.
Sure. Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the skin. It is common in diabetes. If the infection is in the leg or foot, elevation can help and so can the cold compresses. But it is not going to treat the infection, since it is usually a staph infection that has entered the skin. Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do to prevent it, as you have noted he is obese. If he could lose a massive amount of weight and control his diabetes very well, he would not get cellulitis. You should ask his Dr if support wraps or compression stockings for his legs would help.

Bariatric surgery is available in the UK through the NHS for patients with BMI over 40 or BMI 35-40 who have a concurrent condition such as https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/weight-loss-surgery/

Here is the link. It takes a long time to get into the program. Start now. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA.