Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I have symptoms as follows shortness of breath, difficulty

I have symptoms as follows shortness of breath , difficulty breathing , noisy chest and sometimes chills
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I had shortness of breath for about 4 days , and a bit of sore throat then for the past 2 days I had difficulty breathing , chills and noisy chest
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

May I ask some quick questions to help me give you the best answer today:

- How old are you?

- Are you male or female?

- Any medical problems?

- Any medications?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am 30 years old female and no am not on any medications
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
And no medical problems
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

Okay, thank you.

To gauge how bad the shortness of breath is, please can you take a deep breath in and then count up from 1 (at a rate of about one number per second) and tell me what number you can get to without needing to take another breath?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
10
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

Okay, many thanks.

Are you still able to mobilise around your home and carry out light activities?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sometimes when my breathing gets really bad what can I do to make it better
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

Your symptoms are consistent with the current coronavirus criteria (though this doesn’t necessarily mean you have it). As such you should self-isolate for 7 days (and any household members 14 days) and attempt to manage your symptoms with plenty of rest and fluids. Paracetamol (if you can obtain it) will help with fever and/or aches. With respect to the shortness of breath itself, unfortunately there is very little else that you can do to help, though for the vast majority of people (especially at your age and no underlying health conditions) it runs a self-limiting course over about 7-10 days. If at any stage you are struggling to speak in sentences or carry out light activity due to shortness of breath then please seek further advice promptly.

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
At what point would I need an ambulance if my breathing does get bad
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How will I know
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

The criteria I have mentioned above are a reasonable guide, you can also use the online NHS 111 assessment tool here:

https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19

Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Ben replied 15 days ago.

You’re very welcome, all the best.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am not sure if you are able to respond to this message , but I spoke to you about my Coronavirus symptoms couple of days ago