neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

Why are the white in my eyes yellow? I wear contacts due to

Customer Question

Hello, Why are the white in my eyes yellow?
JA: When was the last time you had your eyes checked? In general, how has your vision been lately?
Customer: I wear contacts due to bad vision however I’ve realised after a year of use the white of my eyes has been yellow, opticians say this is due to dryness but I’ve stopped for a while and nothing’s changed
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing I’m aware of
Expert:  neurosurg replied 10 days ago.

Hello -

Have you had blood testing recently?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No I haven’t
Expert:  neurosurg replied 10 days ago.

OK, thanks.

You should discuss testing with your GP here.

Yellowing of the eyes could be from jaundice, and your doctor would often want to check bloodwork here, specifically your liver function.

https://medlineplus.gov/jaundice.html

If there are abnormalities in the liver enzymes, the doctor can order further testing, like ultrasound of the liver.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 10 days ago.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you, Jaundice sounds very severe however there’s nothing else wrong except the whites is this possible?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’m also only 18 years of age
Expert:  neurosurg replied 10 days ago.

If you're 18, it's unlikely that you would have anything significant here.

But an elevated bilirubin level can cause this yellowing of the eyes. Certainly something that can be easily checked with some bloodwork.