neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

I have diabetes and work as a phlebotomist in a hospital,

Customer Question

Hi, I have diabetes and work as a phlebotomist in a hospital, because of being diabetic and according to the government guidelines I should now be taking stricter measures and isolating for 12 weeks but my line manager has said that he wants me to work in the labs at the hospital am I still at risk working in the labs, thank you
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I had my diabetic review Tuesday last week and she said I was high risk, I take metformin x2 after my evening meal
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: my mom died recently of renal cancer which GP knows and I’m also in antidepressants
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: No, should I be
Expert:  neurosurg replied 11 days ago.

Hello -

You certainly should be taking precautions, and hopefully the lab is screening people before they get to anyone in the lab. Obviously if someone is exhibiting symptoms -- the patient should have a mask on, as well as yourself to protect yourself.

But you are an essential part of the healthcare team here, and so staying at home (while being the "safest") may not be the best overall.

But of course, please talk to your manager about how you can be utilized to help, but in the safest possible manner.

Best of luck.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 11 days ago.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!