Doctor of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  MD, DABIM,DABCCM, FCCP
23050427

I have a cold and a cough but no temperature but my husband

Customer Question

I have a cold and a cough but no temperature but my husband has copd and asthma and had heart attack and stents fitted
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: Iv has my cough 2 weeks
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No I don’t think so
Expert:  Doctor of Medicine replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for the question.

Most common cause of these symptoms is viral URI and there are many viruses which can cause that.

The typical of them is it can take up to 1-2-3 weeks for these symptoms to go away.

Most recommendations are in favor of conservative treatments

1-If there is no fever, phlegm, blood, no need for further testing or antibiotics

2-If the symptoms last beyond 6-8 weeks, there is need for evaluation of underlying lung disease including asthma.

3-i would suggest to use over the counter cough meditations for example Robitussin DM, etc as needed

4-green tea with lemon, honey and ginger is advised.

I hope that helps,please feel free to ask if you have any follow up questions, if you are satisfied , please click ACCEPT and rate the question,with positive feedback, thanks

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I work in retail so this is why I am worried for mine and more for my husbands safety

You can watch you symptoms for now,

Unless you get completely better, you should avoid working and avoid getting in contact with customers etc.

This is per CDC guidelines.

Here is the link

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/steps-when-sick.html

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Would it be better for me to self isolate for my husbands sake

I do not think you need to self isolate are completely current time yourself, since you do not have clear contact exposure. Just watch her symptoms and stay home for now without doing anything else.
You can certainly practice more safety measures including use of her regular mask, make sure you cough into your arm, frequent handwashing etc., I am sure you are practicing.
I hope that helps. Your payment has failed, please make sure to click a positive start waiting and accept the question.
I am happy to answer if you have any follow-up questions. Thank you