DrVasavada
DrVasavada, Doctor
Experience:  MD(Ped), DCH ; in practice treating adolescent to newborns
16481530

My chest feels heavy and like i have a chest infection and a

Customer Question

My chest feels heavy and like i have a chest infection and a couple of nights ago was really causing me trouble breathing, everytime I take a deep breathe it sounds wheezy and like something is stopping me from getting the most air I can like it feels muffled if that makes sense when I breathe in
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: I was ill with a fever and headaches and a sore throat, but not really a cough beginning the 10th of March, felt like I got better on Thursday and then Saturday felt like I couldn't really breathe and since then it's just really bad at night when I'm lying down to go to sleep it feels like there's a lot of pressure and congestion but I don't really have any mucus it just feels heavy and inflamed I've been taking anti inflammatories and paracetamol, I've been doing breathing exercises to expand my lungs and yoga but nothing seems to help at night my Airways just feel like they close up
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have a panic disorder, and have had panic attacks in the past but this doesn't feel like one at all, have had my appendix removed 2 years ago which had a tumour and i have smoked on and off for about 7 years no more than 10 per day
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I also would like to add that I have been cleaning excessively due to my panic disorder and the current global situation I don't know whether it could be anything to do with inhaling cleaning products as I am cleaning a lot more often than usual as I live with someone who is high risk
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have no runny nose congestion just what feels like inflammation in my chest and in my sinuses
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I also have been taking my anxiety medication propranolol 40mg and also a nasal decongestant which hasn't helped either
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
While I was ill with a fever I was also spitting quite a lot of blood from my tonsils I think, and they were rather inflamed but that was only for about 2 days and stopped around the 16th of March
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
All the issues I have now feel in my chest
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry for the overload just want to share as much information as possible to help
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I've also got pulsatile tinnitus and had had for over a month continuously if that also counts as many more medical history that could be relevant?
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 6 days ago.

Hi, thanks, am reading your query, will be replying in few seconds please. DrVasavada

Expert:  DrVasavada replied 6 days ago.

You can self-test thus - after breathing quietly few minutes, stop breath after inhaling for 10-12 seconds. If you can hold, you are safe. No corona lung.

If you have wheeze like symptom at night, propranolol is to be stopped as it is not suitable for this lung symptom.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm not sure what you mean?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Are you referring to the false test of holding my breath for 10 seconds to check if I have coronavirus because that's not what I'm asking for
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm asking for advice because I am struggling with what I think is congestion in my chest and when I inhale my sinuses and throat feels as though my airways aren't open enough and my chest feels heavy as if I have a weight on it
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 6 days ago.

Please get your oxygen saturation by skin probe and if deficient, you need to see chest physician.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I don't understand what oxygen saturation is and what a skin probe is or have access to one?
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 6 days ago.

The level of oxygen carried by blood hemoglobin is given as percent saturation (normal above 90%) and can be remotely tested by a probe worn on finger, as you may see in ICU setting. Physician can have this probe in office too, reading comes on a screen.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I can't get access to this at the moment as my gp practice isn't allowing any appointments to be made
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
All the icu's are full with coronavirus patients and I live with someone who is very high risk so cannot attend the hospital
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 6 days ago.

Wait out the symptom. Breath more frequently if shallow inhalation there.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have been waiting for it to pass for around 5 days now but Saturday night I could barely breathe at all and tonight I have started with a new symptom I am getting a throbbing sharp pain in the left side
Expert:  DrVasavada replied 6 days ago.

This could warrant admission to a hospital. Which you can not due to high risk person in family. Good luck.