Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

Could i have had my driving licence taken away from me

Good afternoon could i have had my driving licence taken away from me mainly because of my declaration but mainly from my gp whom has advised to dvla that i have mis-used alcohol for the last six years.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: i have never been called into the surgery because of any adverse blood results or been asked to reduce drinking for my driving licence.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: i have visited the surgery 4 times over the last twelve months for diabetes and tremor but no one has asked me to reduce drinking.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: i disclosed i drank 12 pints of beer over 7 days which is above the guidelins but it was the doctor has told and on what grounds.

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

Depending on what beer, your weekly consumption is around 28 units. This is above the recommended level (14 units for both men and women now) and potentially harmful to physical and/or mental health, however in the absence of any evidence of harm or even being formally advised to reduce your alcohol consumption in my opinion it is very difficult indeed for your GP to justify declaring ‘alcohol misuse’ to the DVLA and you should have very strong grounds to appeal this (and consider a formal complaint to your GP too).

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
would it be possible to call me on my mobile please
07786082713

Sorry, I can’t call at the moment but am happy to continue online chat.

Your call request has been opened to all available experts though.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
On a diabetes blood check does it give alcohol presence and if there was abnormal readings would the doctor advise me

It can show changes on a “Full Blood Count” and/or “Liver Function Test”, however one would expect your doctor to advise you of any abnormal results.

Just checking to see if received my last response as I didn’t hear back from you.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you doctor happy with all replies now
Steve Render

You’re very welcome, all the best.