Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Basically I coughed out some blood a few days ago, I took

Hi, basically I coughed out some blood a few days ago, I took amoxicillin, it calmed a little, but that night I had really bad difficulty breathing, my lungs felt inflamed, my throat inflamed tight pain when I am breathing, it's been happening on and off for the last 3 days
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: Very slight
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: That's all really

What are your age and gender?

Do you have a fever, diarrhea, nausea, cough, anxiety?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
29 male, slight temp is high, not diarrhea but slight loose stools, coughing only when I feel something coming up.. not really anxiety as such

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Let me at the outset tell you that your symptoms are not likely due to coronavirus.

Your symptoms can be due to;

1) Sinusitis

2) Bronchitis.

3) Acid reflux.

You may continue Amoxicillin for 5-7 days.

Following measures are likely to help you recover fast;

1) Rest

2) Plenty of liquids

3) Vitamin C and Zinc supplement.

4) Probiotics.

5) Lemon water (warm) with honey.

6) Tylenol

7) Deep breathing exercises.

8) Menthol steam inhalation.

9) Warm mist humidifier in the room.

10) Nasal saline drops if the nose is blocked.

11) Nexium and Tums.

Bronchitis may need some prescription medications;

1) Adequate rest/bed rest if symptoms are severe.

2) cough suppressants such as codeine and dextromethorphan.

3) ipratropium bromide

4) theophylline

5) steroids

6) Occasionally antibiotics may be prescribed.

7) Zinc supplements; this increases body immunity.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Another thing Dr, as for my Mrs, she's had constant coughing which has led to some throat inflammation and blood coming from Bose when blowing out..
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Some difficult breathing as well because of the inflammation it seems

If your wife does not have a fever, I would not worry much.

A constant cough can be due to;

Postnasal drip

Acid reflux

Sinusitis.

The common causes of chronic cough are postnasal drip (also called upper airway cough syndrome), asthma, and reflux laryngitis / gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). These causes are responsible for up to 90 percent of all cases of chronic cough. Less common causes include infections, medications, and chronic lung diseases. Another common cause of chronic cough is nonasthmatic eosinophilic bronchitis. Following causes are usually considered for the chronic cough;

1) Upper airway cough syndrome; they comprise of vasomotor rhinitis; acute nasopharyngitis; and sinusitis. The treatment is by steroid nasal spray or nasal antihistamine. Sinusitis may need antibiotics like trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or cefuroxime.

2) Cough variant asthma; this will require bronchodilator medications used in asthma or steroid inhalers.

3) Reflux laryngitis and Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD); treatment is by avoidance of reflux-inducing foods (fatty foods, chocolate), eating five small meals a day without snacking, avoidance of meals for two to three hours before lying down (except for medications), the elevation of the head of the bed and an H2 antagonist or a proton pump inhibitor.

4) Postnasal drip; would need antihistamines and inhaled ipratropium bromide.

5) Non-specific cough; Dextromethorphan and/or codeine can be used.

Wishing you and your wife a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.