Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I rang 111 on Tuesday asking if I needed to self isolate as

I rang 111 on Tuesday asking if I needed to self isolate as I only have one kidney due to me having Cushing Syndrome over 28 years ago. I was told to self isolate but not how long for so rang 111 again this morning and have been told that the virus does not attack kidneys and I do not need to isolate. Just need a bit of clarification as I work in a school and as it is still open for key workers, there are still students in school and my day of work will be next Wednesday.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Not seen a doctor, not on any medication. Had a benign tumour on my adrenal gland but my kidney had to be removed. I am fit and well and have had no symptoms.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No nothing

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Having just one kidney doesn't put you at a greater risk for the coronavirus or for its potential complications

So there's no need for you to self isolate

Please let me know if you need any more information