wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I am 70 and live with my husband who is 82. I work for The

Good afternoon.
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: Good afternoon,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Good afternoon. I am 70 and live with my husband who is 82. I work for The NHS at West Suffolk hospital. We have both had colds, coughs and sore throats for the past 4 weeks but feeling much better now, however, I still have cold sores around my nose. My medical certificate will run out tomorrow 27th March and I am expected to start back at work on 28th. I am worried as I work in the community with vulenarble patients that I may transfer germs to them or visa versa. My husband has a heart condition so I also have to consider him. I have been in touch with my line manager who says that I am fit for work. We have been self isolating for the past 3 weeks. Can you please advise me on the action, if any, that I should take? Thank you. Brenda Connell.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: 4 weeks but still coughing and have cold sores. Low temperature of 34.2. Gp not concerned as I am eating and drinking.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Arthritus, medication naproxen. poloyps upper abdomen, meds opeprazole and high blood pressure meds losartan.

Hi. My name is Dr Rick, I have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Brenda,

Even if you have covid19 (which I didn't see you say was confirmed by testing) you should not be contagious after 3 weeks.

So, unless you can get your GP to write you a sick note to the contrary, it looks like your manager is within her power to request that you return to work on the 28th.

Here is some information concerning sick note guidance....perhaps you can find an exception here that would apply to your situation:

https://111.nhs.uk/isolation-note

DOes this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS