Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I have lichen planus on my scalp which is driving me mad...

I have lichen planus on my scalp which is driving me mad... especially at night when my head becomes hot. I have been given all the creams etc no use and it seems to be spreading
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?
Customer: Must be over ten years,. I think it started when I began henna ing my hair which must be 15 years/20 years ago
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have autoimmune Thyroid disease, Migraine & Diabetes other things as well general sensitivities to chemicals and colours
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I look forward to answering your question. Was the diagnosis of lichen planus made by a skin biopsy?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No - I worked it out as I have lichen schlerosus which was diagnosed by a dr at the women's clinic.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I suffered with trichonomas as a younger woman ... I am 63 now.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It seems to be worse when my blood glucose is high which it is for a few years now.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok this seems to be taking longer than I have available at the moment and obviously I type fast. I will sign off for the moment and look forward to hearing from you,
So you do not necessarily have lichen planus of the scalp just because you have lichen sclerosis. Trichomonas is a std and has nothing to do with either. Neither condition will worsen with a high blood sugar. Yeast infection is common with persistent high blood sugar.

Lichen planus has no cure, but different treatments can help relieve your symptoms and speed healing. Possible treatments include:

Antihistamine medicine to relieve itching

Steroids on your skin or in your mouth to fight inflammation (You may also take steroids in pill form for severe cases)

A type of ultraviolet light treatment called PUVA

Retinoic acid, a medicine derived from vitamin A and usually used for acne

Tacrolimus and pimecrolimus, ointments used for eczema.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks very much. Appreciate the suggestions for treatment