Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Second opinion] I have had a problem with uti since Feb this

second opinion] Hello, I have had a problem with uti since Feb this year. I got treatment for it (amoxicillin 875 mg) and then it returned as a strange occasional sensation in urethra and a very vague burning sensation. Had macrobid prescribed which did nothing. Got tested for uti and sti and all came back clear. I have a history of cystitis problems but in the past it was often caused by not drinking enough and not going to the loo enough but normally antibiotics get rid of it but this time it is strange. It seems chronic this time. It doesn’t hurt much, just discomfort. However it goes away when I am asleep and when I wake up it seems fine for the first hour of awakening. I am 45, female and generally in good health.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I look forward to answering your question. It sounds like you do not have a bladder infection any more but you may have urethritis. It does not sound like you have any urinary frequency or blood in the urine. You can pick up some pyridium over the counter and use it as directed for 3 days. This may take away the urethral symptoms. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Are you suggesting that may be the form of urethritis that is not connected to presence of bacteria? Meaning the urethra is inflamed but is the NGU type? I go for a wee normally and experience no burning sensation but the pressure from fullness gives some discomfort which stays there for a little bit after I finish weeing.
Yes, urethritis not connected to bacterium. I think the pyridium can be helpful. Please reply with questions and consider a positive rating. We are not compensated without a rating. thank you for using JA.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your response doctor. I managed to find something called AZO on Amazon which I believe contains Phenazopyridine which is what you refer to as pyridium. Otherwise there is nothing available
In UK pharmacies.
Yes. Azo is the same thinks.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks very much for your help.