neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

I've been having chest pain from last one week now and the

Hello. I've been having chest pain from last one week now and the pain has moved to right shoulder as well. I went to emergency on the first day I had the pain and they did ECG, and said there's no major issue. It is painting a lot right now (6 out of scale of 10), and hurts more if I lay down on bed.
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No issue previously at all

Hello -

Does the pain worsen if you look up at the ceiling?

Does it get better if you lean your neck forward (looking at the ground)?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I can't tell much difference
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
However, it feels much better if I'm just sitting rather than laying down on bed
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
The pain is exactly in the middle of chest

OK, thanks.

The issue here is that chest pain from heart related conditions is worrisome, but that was ruled out with the ECG.

The fact that it seems to be worse in certain positions makes me think that this could be related to a "pinched" nerve in your neck, especially now that you also have radiation to the right shoulder. This could be cervical radiculopathy -- irritated nerve in your neck.

If there was pain more in the abdomen going to the right shoulder area, a gallbladder issue could be the cause.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Actually, yes it does worsen slightly if I look up at the ceiling and gets better if I look down
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Also, the pain is more on the upper chest area and feels like burning a bit

OK, that strongly points to a pinched nerve in the neck issue then.

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/cervical-radiculopathy-pinched-nerve/

GEtting MRI of the cervical spine could be helpful here.

I sincerely hope that I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
The first time I experienced this (last Friday) was straight after smoking a cigarette.
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Do I need to be really concerned and go to the emergency?

If they ruled out a heart issue here, then that was the possible emergency.

I would contact your doctor, but I don't feel that this is an emergency.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Okay, thanks I will contact my doctor. I'm not sure if this helps you evaluate more but I had upset stomach two days ago and the pain is at some point between my neck and chest. I also had upper back/traps a couple of days ago because of wrong sitting posture

Sounds like the nerve issue here.

Hopefully it will get better with some time.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Okay thanks. I was scared/panicked that I may have some respiratory or heart disease because it gives a slight burning sensation.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Does the nerve issue pain usually last for one week?

Hopefully only for a short time, but if there is something like a herniated disc, it can be longer.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Okay thank you.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Hello. It's hurting on the right side of the neck now. Shall I be concerned?
Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I wish I could sleep through this but it's hurting a bit.

That all points to the right sided neck issue -- hopefully it will calm down with some time.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
I'm actually unable to sleep - would going to the emergency help at all?

They would be able to give you something stronger for pain.

However, you have to balance that with the potential risk of exposure to someone with the COVID-19 coronavirus.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Would paracetamol reduce the pain?

Yes, it should.