Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Thank you, I'm going cold turkey from acohol and failed

JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I'm going cold turkey from acohol and failed first time. I lasted until midnght. The thing that did it was not the craving but an incessant and profound itching of the nose. I tried piriton and it didn't work. I've had a couple of drinks and the itching has eased. Is that uncommon and is there anything I can do about it. It was actually driving me insane.
thank you by the way
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I'v been treated for depression....fluoxtine and cyproxin Neither agreed with me.

Hi there.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.

Itching is an uncommon symptom that can happen after stopping alcohol intake but it is something that does happen in a number of people.

I would recommend that you should gradually wean off alcohol rather than stopping cold turkey which may help with this symptom.

Also, you can try using doxylamine rather than piriton to see if that would help you better when you do get itching next time around.

Also, if you really do want to stop cold turkey, the best thing to do is to have valium prescribed to you to control symptoms of withdrawal. Valium (diazepam) is the most effective medication for withdrawal symptoms.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options (stars) at your end.
Kindest regards

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can you descibe valium and how much should I take?

I will call you in a moment.