Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have bad knee pain and have had it for about 3 weeks now.

Hi, I have bad knee pain and have had it for about 3 weeks now. I was prescribed Naproxen and cocodamol for two weeks but the two weeks is up today. I am resting it as much as possible but need to know if there are any alternative pain killers that would be suitable. I have no allergies.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: No swelling and almost constant pain.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No medical history. I am not on any other meds apart from contraceptive pill. I have a high BMI and am already on a weight loss programme.

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Board Certified Consultant with over 15 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

The combination of Naproxen (anti-inflammatory pain killer) and Co-Codamol (narcotic pain killer) was significantly strong and probably was needed in the initial few days of severe pain.

I think if the pain is better, you can simply shift to ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day along with Paracetamol 1 gram three times a day for next week and see how you respond to it.

Hopefully this combination will be very helpful for you and seems a logical STEP DOWN strategy from the previous strong prescription.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top right of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question. Bonus Always helpful.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The pain is still very much there but not as constant as it was. I was unsure as to how long I would be able to take Ibuprofen for but I will try it regularly with the paracetamol for a week and see if that helps. Thanks.