Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have recently noticed that my teeth are feeling loose.

Hi, I have recently noticed that my teeth are feeling loose. They seem in good condition other than that, I clean and floss my teeth twice a day. Last time I went to the dentist they noticed that I grind my teeth at night but didn’t say what I needed to do next to help with this. The last couple of weeks I have really noticed movement and my teeth feeling loose. I’m very worried and don’t know what to do because I can’t get an appointment to see a dentist as it’s not an emergency. Help!!
JA: Have you noticed any swelling in the gums? When was your last visit to the dentist?
Customer: yes, a little swelling. Last visit to the dentist was 6 months ish. So I should be due a checkup now
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Board Certified Consultant with over 15 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

This is called sleep related bruxism; a condition in which a person has a tendency of clenching or grinding of the teeth repeatedly. This is not an uncommon issue and mild degree of bruxism is normal.

But yes if it starts to affect your teeth, it needs treatment.

The treatment is in the form some devices that your dental surgeon can fit in to your teeth. Since this is not an emergency issue therefore it will be difficult to get an early appointment with the doctor; so what can be done at home?

The answer is that you should practice best possible sleep hygiene.

Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco before bedtime.

Go to bed same time every night.

Room should be dark, and avoid watching tv, reading magazine or working on tabs/cell phones once in the bed.

Surroundings should be quiet and dark.

If these measures do not help, then there are some medications as well that can be tried to help you; but I am very much optimistic that you will improve significantly with sleep hygiene practice only.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top right of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question. Bonus Always helpful.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me so quick! Will try sleep hygiene. Fingers crossed it helps for the meantime �� will book an appointment for the dentist as soon as I am able to. Thanks again!