neurosurg
neurosurg,
206912

My daughter hit her head very hard on a metal doorframe a

Customer Question

My daughter hit her head very hard on a metal doorframe a few years ago. I took her to a&e at the time and they monitored her and then was happy to discharge her after a few hours of observations. She is now nearly 6yrs and comes that she still has a lot of localised pain in the area that she bumped. It’s on her frontal lobe and you can visually see a lump still too. She complains of dizzy spells and headaches. Other than taking her to the gp is there anything else I can do or what it might be that’s caused this not to disappear?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: Episodic and yes she does have episodes of nausea but again not constant. However the pain around the area is constant she has indicated to me. To touch the area you can feel a sizeable lump still
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of to add at this time
Expert:  neurosurg replied 14 days ago.

Hello -

If you can visually see a lump -- that is something that is outside of the skull, and not related to the underlying brain.

It could be a osteoma, or a calcified subgaleal hematoma (blood clot that hardened), and certainly her pediatrician could look at this area and help to determine what it is.

While a CT scan could also be helpful, you want to avoid radiation as much as possible especially in a young child.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would a garden blood clot still be causing her pain and the area to still be sore to touch?It initially was a horrific bump to the head when she originally did it.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Sorry garden* type error
Expert:  neurosurg replied 14 days ago.

It's unlikely that a blood clot from 6 years ago is causing pain now. But perhaps there was inflammation in the skull, and a osteoma formed there:

https://www.aurorahealthcare.org/services/cancer/head-neck-cancer/osteoma#Diagnosis

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No it happened around 2/3 years ago. So the best cause of action would be to make the paediatric consultant aware of this when she’s seen in clinic next or/and take her to the GP as a first step?
Expert:  neurosurg replied 14 days ago.

I'd make them aware just at the next visit, to see if this requires any further imaging.

Expert:  neurosurg replied 14 days ago.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!