Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My husband is type 2 diabetic on insulin. For about a week

Customer Question

My husband is type 2 diabetic on insulin. For about a week he has had severe constipation and high sugar levels. We saw an emergency gp on Sunday night who gave him laxido which has not helped and also he has taken senoket. He is very tired and can’t sleep much because of the pain in his stomach and he is burping a lot
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, how long has your husband been using the insulin? Has it helped at all?
Customer: he has been on insulin few about 6 yrs or more and no it doesn’t help
JA: Thanks for that. Has he used anything besides the insulin for this?
Customer: senokot & laxido
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in his medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: he has copd, bronchitis, emphysema and a nodule on his lung
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 17 days ago.

Dulcolax suppository or home use enema may help him.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks. Not really but never mind

You are very welcome.

For the pain in stomach, he may take paracetamol of Ibuprofen.

For burping, he may take Bismuth subsalisylate.

For constipation he may consider taking;

polyethylene glycol.

This also is available without the prescription.

Your husband has severe constipation and high sugar, tired, can't sleep, and burping.

For the burping; Bismuth subsalisylate or Rolaids would help.

Tiredness and sleep issues are due to pain and constipation and high blood sugar.

High fiber intake (a lot of vegetables and fruits), exercises, walking, and plenty of fluids always are part of the management of chronic constipation. People who do not respond to this and OTC laxative are advised to take the following medications by prescription;

1) Polyethylene glycol 3350

2) Lactulose

These agents are proven for their effectiveness at improving stool frequency and consistency in patients with chronic constipation.

The other helpful agents are;

a) Lubiprostone

b) Linaclotide

Following measures can be helpful;

1) Increased fluids

2) Prune juice and dried plums

3) Increased fiber; preparation like Benefiber can be tried.

4) An herbal tea, "Smooth Move," has been found to have a good result in moving the bowel.

5) Toilet after meals; Toileting 15 to 30 minutes after eating makes use of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolic reflex results in propagating spikes in the colon and rectum within a half an hour after a meal. When we eat, our stomach distends and this sends reflex signals to the large intestines (colon) facilitating for their movements. If one utilizes the next half hour of a meal, for the toilet, the stool elimination time is decreased.

6) Increase in exercise

7) Stimulant laxatives stimulate intestinal motility and increase intestinal secretion. They are anthraquinones (cascara, aloe, and senna) and diphenyl methanes (bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, phenolphthalein). These may be avoided more than twice a week, though they are effective but can be harmful in the long term.

8) Avoidance of stress

9) Wheat bran, 20 gms per day can decrease the rectal transit time

10) Vegetables,

11) Fruits (especially dried fruits)

12) Cereals like whole wheat, bran or oatmeal

13) Celery

14) Grainy bread, such as whole wheat, rye or pumpernickel

15) Legumes, such as chickpeas, baked beans, and lima beans

16) You can try ground flaxseed sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, and cereals.

Foods which cause constipation and should be avoided are;

Ice cream

Cheese

Meat / Red meat

Chips, cookies, and pizza

Pastries

Foods that contain white flour

Pasta

Junk food or fast food

Banana.

Wishing him a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Stay safe,

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.