Your husband has severe constipation and high sugar, tired, can't sleep, and burping.
For the burping; Bismuth subsalisylate or Rolaids would help.
Tiredness and sleep issues are due to pain and constipation and high blood sugar.
High fiber intake (a lot of vegetables and fruits), exercises, walking, and plenty of fluids always are part of the management of chronic constipation. People who do not respond to this and OTC laxative are advised to take the following medications by prescription;
1) Polyethylene glycol 3350
These agents are proven for their effectiveness at improving stool frequency and consistency in patients with chronic constipation.
The other helpful agents are;
Following measures can be helpful;
1) Increased fluids
2) Prune juice and dried plums
3) Increased fiber; preparation like Benefiber can be tried.
4) An herbal tea, "Smooth Move," has been found to have a good result in moving the bowel.
5) Toilet after meals; Toileting 15 to 30 minutes after eating makes use of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolic reflex results in propagating spikes in the colon and rectum within a half an hour after a meal. When we eat, our stomach distends and this sends reflex signals to the large intestines (colon) facilitating for their movements. If one utilizes the next half hour of a meal, for the toilet, the stool elimination time is decreased.
6) Increase in exercise
7) Stimulant laxatives stimulate intestinal motility and increase intestinal secretion. They are anthraquinones (cascara, aloe, and senna) and diphenyl methanes (bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, phenolphthalein). These may be avoided more than twice a week, though they are effective but can be harmful in the long term.
8) Avoidance of stress
9) Wheat bran, 20 gms per day can decrease the rectal transit time
11) Fruits (especially dried fruits)
12) Cereals like whole wheat, bran or oatmeal
14) Grainy bread, such as whole wheat, rye or pumpernickel
15) Legumes, such as chickpeas, baked beans, and lima beans
16) You can try ground flaxseed sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, and cereals.
Foods which cause constipation and should be avoided are;
Meat / Red meat
Chips, cookies, and pizza
Foods that contain white flour
Junk food or fast food
Wishing him a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.
" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.