Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I’m struggling with weight, I’m 19 years old, female and I

Customer Question

Hi, I’m struggling with weight, I’m 19 years old, female and I weigh 18st 12lbs and I have depression and anxiety, my depression has improved in the past year but I was on a medication called mirtazapine which caused me to put on over 3 stone in 7 months which hasn’t happened before and I have been trying to lose it for a year now, I lost a little but not much, my weight is really getting me down and my stomach overhangs, I am worried for health reasons as my mum is type 2 diabetic and I can’t get a doctors appointment
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: I have felt bad since I put on the weight but I can’t get any appointments with my gp
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I’m currently on propanolol, quetiapine, duloxetine and promethazine hydrochloride, but willing to try anything to lose the weight, I’m desperate
Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 18 days ago.

Good morning, I am Dr Elliot. Thank you for your question

Weight I appreciate is a very difficult thing and is rather complex in addressing. What have you done to date to lose weight?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have tried going to the gym, changing my diet, balancing my diet... but it has been extremely difficult

Okay thank you. Have you had any blood tests to investigate any underlying causes such as hypothyroidism?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No I haven’t, I haven’t been able to get an appointment with my gp at all
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Not even a phone appointment

So your GP should be able to take phone calls but yes non urgent blood tests are still unfortunately on hold

I would contact them to start arranging some blood tests first to exclude an underlying cause. They would then also be able to refer you to some of the weight loss services within the NHS as it requires more of a team approach given the difficulties in losing weight

Expert:  Elliot Ruff replied 11 days ago.

Good morning, Please could you kindly rate my response, this is the only way I am credited for responding to questions, it means I can also close this question, many thanks, ***** *****