Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Hip, groin, back and thigh pain, No recent injuries, the

Customer Question

Hip, groin, back and thigh pain
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No recent injuries, the pain is fairly dull and constant. Icing it Or hot water bottle seems to help a little
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: nope
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 16 days ago.

What are your age and gender?

Since when are your pains?

What are the investigations and treatments done?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
25 and female
Pains for around two weeks but have had them in the past too
My doctor hasn’t examined me but over the phone consultation and things it’s hip bursitis but the pain is in many places

Thanks for the additional information.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms are suggestive of pinched nerves in the back causing hip, groin, and thigh pain.

Following investigations would be required, for the confirmation of the diagnosis;

1) X-ray of the lower back

2) MRI of the spine

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG).

You may consult any of the following specialists (apart from your GP);

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) Specialist in Physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Backcare in the activities of daily living, which is an integral component of the treatment of back problems. Back education is one of the most important things which teaches the basic body mechanics, like correct posture for standing, standing at a desk or drawing board, sitting, brushing teeth, washing the face, pushing and pulling a weight, lifting a weight, getting in and out of bed, sleeping, getting into and sitting in a car. The training for these routine activities helps in preventing the spasm of the muscles. One needs to consult an occupational therapist or physical therapist which can educate about the proper and improper behaviors when the back is painful in case they have to sit, bend forward, lie down, walk, cough, or sneeze. Following more need to be done:

a) Avoid activities that increase pain.

b) Rest intermittently

c) Avoid bending at 90 degrees

d) Pushing and pulling should be avoided until the pain subsides

f) Avoid prolonged sitting and standing

g) Avoid sitting or sleeping on the floor

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like ibuprofen, other analgesics, and muscle relaxants

3) Local analgesic gels or sprays/ointment

4) Hot fomentation

5) Electrotherapy like transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation: done by the physical therapist. Other things are ice packs, heating pads, electrical stimulation, phonophoresis, iontophoresis, relaxation, and biofeedback.

6) Well supervised physiotherapy: The exercises consist of abdominal bracing, modified sit-ups, double-knee-to-chest or low back stretches, seat lifts, mountain and sag exercises, knee-to-elbow exercises, hamstring stretches, extension exercises, and extension flexibility exercises. Swimming exercises (pool exercises) are best for back pain. Initial stretching and later strengthening exercises are taught.

7) Lumbosacral corset or support or brace

8) If obese or overweight, reduce weight for long term benefits.

9) Epidural steroid shots

10) Surgery is usually the last resort when the above conservative measures fail.

You may start these exercises;

1) Straight leg raising: Lie on the bed with your back and remain in a relaxed position. Slowly raise one of your legs upward and keep it as straight as possible. Count up to ten, and slowly bring down the leg. Do the same with the other leg. Repeat this exercise ten times.

2) Curl-ups; lie on the back with knees bent, fold arms across the chest, tilt the pelvis to flatten the back, and curl-up lifting the head and shoulders from the bed/couch. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly lower to starting position. As strength builds, aim to complete one set of ten curls. The exercise should be done twice a day (both the sets).

This is a slide show for the exercises (you can pick up your own set, which suits you);

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/multimedia/back-pain/sls-20076265

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Would this cause stomach cramp of vaginal pain too?

Stomach cramps, vaginal pain with back, hip, thigh and groin pain is likely due to;

1) A Passing kidney stones.

2) Pelvic inflammatory disease.

You may need an ultrasound and a CT scan of the abdomen for the diagnosis.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 15 days ago.

Wishing you a speedy resolution and all the very best in life.

" I sincerely hope that I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!”.

Stay blessed.

Stay safe,

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.