wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

I need some advice from an orthodontist, I have had a fixed

Customer Question

Hi I need some advice from an orthodontist
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, what are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: I have had a fixed brace for 6 years. My jaw now appears to be misaligned as my teeth are higher up in my palette on one side. They never used to be like this I'm worried that the braces have damaged my teeth/jaw or caused root resorption due to wearing the bracket for an extended period of time.
JA: Thanks for that. When was your last dentist visit? What was discussed?
Customer: My last orthodontics appointment was 21.2.20
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: I had a gold chain on the left hand side to pull down an impacted tooth. This surgery was done in January 2018
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have had braces for the last 6 years under the NHS. They only see me for appointments every 6-8 weeks. I haven't had an appointment since february due to the coronavirus. I am worried that having a fixed appliance for such a long period of time has caused long term damage to my teeth. As you can see in october 2018, my top teeth are straight. If you look at the photo from May 2020, you can see that my teeth on the left hand side are uneven and my 2 front teeth are now different lengths. I am worried I may be suffering from a jaw misalignment or root resorption due to over wearing the braces. What can be done?
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 13 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** have over two decades of experience, and I'm online and available to help you today.

We can also chat by hone and skype.

Expert:  wieyedoc replied 13 days ago.

How can I help?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Pictures attached in previous message
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 13 days ago.

In the pictures everything can be fixed.

This difference in lengths can be sorted out/fixed easily, although you may have to stay in braces a bit longer.

So. What to do?

I suggest you contact your doctor and let her know you need to come in for an appointment in the near future, irrespective of the covid19 stuff.

Does this make sense to you?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have been wearing braces for 6 years!!!
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
what do you mean irrespective of the covid 19 stuff haven’t you watched the news? Everything is closed.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 12 days ago.

I understand...I'm living the news......but I still see patients who just can't wait.....

Unfortunately, you really should see your orthodontist for this and not just a new one.

Make sense?

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for getting back to me and for your advice. May I ask which country you are based in? All orthodontics and dental clinics are shut in the UK
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 12 days ago.

I am in the State of Montana, USA.

And most everything is closed down here too....but we would make sure you got in for treatment...

I wish you the very best.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh okay that explains it- in the UK we cannot have any treatment at all so your advice sadly isn’t applicable. Can you offer some explanation as to why my teeth are up on one side? Despite having braces for 6 years?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 12 days ago.

The braces needed their tension adjusted but those appointments were missed due to the covid19.

It will most likely get worse if the brace tension is not set right.

Hopefully you can get into someone in the near future....or you will be stuck in braces for much longer :(

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Will wearing elastics help in the mean time?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 12 days ago.

If you were told to wear them but have not been doing so then that might be part of the problem...and in that case, you could try wearing them...but it might be too late.

If you were not told to wear them now then do not start...could make things worse.

This is not something that you can fix on your own :(

Did I ever discuss with you the excellent feedback button and the joy you can expect to obtain by mashing it, as well as the immense benefits that leaving a bonus can give you? Try it. You'll like it.

Go ahead. Don't be afraid. Give it a push....