How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9715
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now

I have really severe stabbing pain in my cartilage of my

Customer Question

I have really severe stabbing pain in my cartilage of my ears, one is becoming very swollen and sensitive to touch. I have been suffering from dull earaches recently and watery substance coming from them
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, how long have you had the wateriness? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: Probably for about 6 months, i tried sodium bicarbonate ear drops but for some reason everytime my ear got filled up with the liquid it made me unable to walk for a short period of time all my balance was thrown off
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a doctor about the wateriness?
Customer: No, i'm not registered to one atm I am going through the process of becoming a patient
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: Not that i am aware of no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified ENT with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and sex?

How long have you had the pain and swelling of the ear?

Is it on the outer ear, the pinna?

Can you send a pic?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call, that is not sent by me but generated automatically by the website, you can ignore it if you choose.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Im 24 and female, it started on my left ear about 2 weeks ago but on my right ear it started 3 days ago and is much worse.The swelling is on my antihelix. I will also attach a picture
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 18 days ago.

You are having perichondritis of the pinna.

This is an infection of the cartilage lining.

You need to show a doctor for this.

You will need antibiotics for this.

Only antibiotics can cure this, this cannot be treated at home.

Without antibiotics your ear will swell up and will cause a lot of pain.

Perichondritis is also difficult to treat at a later stage, hence the earlier the better.

Go to your doctor immediately - go to your PCP/Family physican and discuss about perichondritis. Ask for antibiotics. This will give you relief.

Hope this helps.

If so, please give a 5 start rating at the upper right corner.

If you need any more information please ask