How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. P. Jyoti Your Own Question
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9705
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. P. Jyoti is online now

I have a severe ear infection which I’ve had before and was

Customer Question

Hi I have a severe ear infection which I’ve had before and was given antibacterial ear drops. the ear is leaking and smelling awful.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?
Customer: 2nd week.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No.Customer: No I don’t think so on this ocassion
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 17 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a qualified MD with 18 years’ experience. ​

Please provide some more information so that I can provide you with a better informed answer.

What is your age and sex?

Have you been diagnosed with CSOM? Have you been told that you have a ear infection?

Please provide this info and I will help you further with my answer.

You may get a message asking for a phone call, that is not sent by me but generated automatically by the website, you can ignore it if you choose.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am 63 Male.
I have had this same thing before with horrible stuff coming out along with a foul smell.I was given antibiotic drops before for this.
It will be in my records.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 17 days ago.


You are likely to be having CSOM, or a perforation in the ear.

This is a condition when there is chronic infection of the ear with a hole in the tympanic membrane causing discharge from the ear.

You should consult an ENT doctor for this.

The discharge can be stopped temporarily by antibiotics and decongestants but for a final cure, you will need to undergo a small operation called myringoplasty.

For now, continue with the antibiotic ear drops.

In addition take a decongestant like Sudafed 120 mg once daily(OTC). If you are having a lot of irritation in the ear take Tab. Alavert 10 mg one tab daily. For pain, you should take Tab. Motrin. All these are available OTC.

But do see an ENT doctor for this and discuss about CSOM and ear perforation, and also surgery to close the perforation.

Take care - wish you good health and a quick recovery. Stay safe.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and helped you in knowing what to discuss with your doctor if required.

If my answer has helped you, please click on a four or five star rating at the upper right corner, or a 'excellent service' rating, depending on what is displayed for you. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credit for my work. Bonus and a good feedback is always welcome.

Please note that rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know, I am sure I can help you further.
With regards,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.

Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 12 days ago.

If my answer has helped you, please enter a 5 star rating from the top right corner. If you dont see it, you can go to your email and come back through the link.

We are paid only when a positive rating is given. Without a positive rating, this session remains inconclusive.

Bonus is always welcome Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti