Dr.Sumanth
Dr.Sumanth,
101124971

I was jerking in the night this is now happening nightly. I

I was jerking in the night this is now happening nightly. I had covid . I know there’s something wrong with my nervous system!
Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 15 years of experience in the field of Medicine at a tertiary care referral hospital. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.
If you see a premium phone call request I suggest you ignore it - as the premium request of phone call was a system generated prompt and was not initiated by me. I would be glad to continue here please.
Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hello...I need some more information please.

1. Since how long have you had this?

2. Are you experiencing any weakness?

3. Any sensory symptoms like tingling or crawling feeling in the legs when asleep?

4. Did this start after taking any antihistamines or allergy medications?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
A few nights . I have that twiches & tingling in legs . No allergy meds
Hello...I understand your concern.By what you say I feel that this may be restless leg syndrome.Restless legs syndrome, or RLS for short, is a condition that causes strange sensations in your legs. RLS is also sometimes called "Willis-Ekbom disease." If you have RLS, you probably have the urge to move your legs at night. This can make it hard to get comfortable and fall asleep.People who have RLS get an uncomfortable urge to move their legs when they are at rest. They describe the feeling as crawling, creeping, pulling, or itching. And they say the feeling is deep in the legs – not on the skin – usually below the knees. These symptoms usually get worse as the day moves on, and they are worst at night. The symptoms can be especially bad when trying to stay still to read a book, watch television, or fall asleep. But people can make the feeling go away temporarily if they walk around or move their legs. Some people with RLS find that their legs move on their own while they are asleep.You might feel better if you:●Do activities that keep your mind alert during the day, such as crossword puzzles
●Get moderate regular exercise
●Massage your legs (or have someone massage them)
●Apply heat to your legs with heating pads or by taking a warm bath
●Avoid taking medicines that can make RLS worse – These include antihistamines like Benadryl.The diagnosis is made by history and does not require additional testing, except for an assessment of iron stores in all patients and blood urea nitrogen and creatinine if renal impairment is suspected. Any potentially causative or exacerbating medications should be identified.May I suggest you discuss this possibility with your primary care physician and get yourself appropriately evaluated and managed please.I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.
A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".
If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -
https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
This isn’t just about my legs . The jerking of my body all night even my hands

I understand.

Then it should benign sleep myoclonus.

These sort of jerking movements are normal and need not be worried about.

This is self limiting and no need for any treatment for this.

Usually this occurs at the point where you are about to sleep and while waking up.

Need not worry about it please.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No this was happening a lot all night . Not just when I was falling asleep

Are you not able to sleep then?

1. Is this an electric shock like sensation whcih is felt moving down the limbs?

2. Is this a jerky movement which is felt just before you are falling asleep or just before you are waking up?

3. Is there any family history multiple sclerosis?

4. Is there any double vision?

5. Are you experiencing any weakness in any part of the body?

6. Are there any bladder problems like urgency or frequency or loss of control?

7. Are there any involuntary muscle twitchings?

8. Are you experiencing the symptoms only now or have they been recurring?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It’s been going 3 days now . No weakness . It wakes me up
No bladder & no MS in family . It doesn’t feel like it’s moving just different parts of the body
Thank you for the information.
As it has already proven covid-19, you have conquered it.
So be rest assured.
Coming to the symptoms you are experiencing maybe recovery symptoms or which are called convalescence symptoms in medical terms.Unfortunately sometimes these can go even for 3 to 6 weeks in certain individuals.I suggest -
1. Keep yourself well hydrated.
2. Take Tylenol on as and when required basis for pain relief.
Better avoid Ibuprofen in the wake of the pandemic.
3. Eat more of fresh fruits and salads so that the antioxidants will be helpful.
4. OTC multivitamins may help.But I can assure you nothing serious neurological is going on.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
It’s not normal to twitch & jerk like this surly
I am not telling that it is normal but it can happen during the recovery period and it will gradually settle down.
But I can tell you that nothing serious is going on neurologically.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have been on zopiclone & night nurse which has promthzine for weeks to help me sleep . Could this be doing it ?
If you have stopped them suddenly then that might be the reason.

Is there anything else where I can be of assistance to you in this regard please?

If I have attended your query to your satisfaction please do remember to rate our interaction with a 5 star rating so that I can get my professional credit.

This is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and effort.

Best regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani