Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

How do I treat arthritis in my hands, this condition has

How do I treat arthritis in my hands, this condition has developed in the past three months and impacting on the ability to use my hands with any strength
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, how long have you had condition? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: 3/4 months, no
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a doctor about condition?
Customer: No I haven't
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: No, in all other respects I am fit and active

Hi! I am Dr Saleem. Welcome to JA. I will be answering your query shortly.

May I know your age and gender please?

Which joints are painful?

Do you have morning stiffness?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Male a fit 79, my hands particularly the thumb joints, yes I do, I also have some osteoarthritis in my lower back but I still play racket ball and golf

What about the knuckles?

Do you see any redness or swelling in the thumb?

Is it the base of thumb that hurts or the whole of it?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Just the base

Alright. Base of thumb is a common anatomical location for osteoarthritis. Step wise treatment approach includes the following.

• Use of topical Diclofenac gel for pain relief
  • Use of Tylenol or oral NSAIDS like Ibuprofen if topical gel is not sufficient. Tylenol has less of a role in pain relief but is a safe long term option
  • Use of intra articular steroids every 3 months. This is an unproven treatment modality in osteoarthritis but does provide relief in many patients if other treatments fail
  • Use of splints and surgery is required for severe refractory disease.

I suggest you start with the first step. That usually requires a prescription from doctor. You may get it on the phone.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much I will do as you suggest and try the first step

Most welcome.

Please remember to reward credit for the consult if you are satisfied . You may do it by clicking 5 stars in the rating corner of your page . Best regards, ***** *****