sofia khan
sofia khan,
Experience:  Consultant Family physician with special interest in dermatology at Rehman Medical Institute
101501929

I think I have halitosis how do I get help? No not yet,

I think I have halitosis how do I get help ?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No not yet, none
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: body dysmorphic disorder anxiety and depression
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for contacting Justanswer.

My name is***** khan. I am board certified family physician with specialist training in dermatology. I shall try and help you today with your query.

Let me have a quick read through and I’ll get back to you shortly.

Is it Ok to ask you a few more questions?

how old are you? male /female?

how long do you think you had this problem for?

is there any obvious reason that you think might be causing the issue?

how is your dental health? any stomach issues? reflux problems? do you suffer with your sinuses frequently?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Male
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have stomach issues
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Are u there ?

Ok, I can list a few causes of halitosis for you and see where you think the problem may be, we can then take it accordingly.

so halitosis can be caused by poor dental hygiene, dental carries... for this, it is usually recommended that you have scaling and polishing with your dentist every 6 months. sometimes there are residues left on the tongue, making a habit of regularly brushing the back of the tongue can help. oral hygiene is the commonest cause for halitosis.

stomach issues like acid reflux or H pylori bacteria, which can be tested further with a stool antigen test by your GP. If it does come out positive for h pylori then you may need a course of antibiotics. for acid reflux, the underlying cause should be seen and a course of PPI medications can help.

dehydration.. if you don't take enough fluids or if you take excessive tea or caffeine. Increasing fluid intake, sucking on lozenges and sugar-free gums which can increase salivation will help. also making use of mild mouthwash(alcohol-free ones) regularly will help the problem and not damage the oral mucosa.

stress, smoking any skin disorders and poor immune system can all contribute.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I suffer with very bad anxiety which leads to a bad metallic taste in my mouth

ok, so again as we said above stress and anxiety can sometimes lead to reflux symptoms. You have to look into the underlying cause. anxiety needs to be addressed. you may need talking therapies or medications to help with that. The reflux symptoms can be controlled with PPIs. I suggest you discuss both these with your doctor and see if treating these resolve the problem of halitosis. in the meanwhile try the simple remedies such as lozenges, sugar-free gum and increasing water intake.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok thank you very much
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I don’t actually know if I have Halitsos , is there anyway I can find out without directly asking somebody? I no this may sound odd but when I ask someone and they say no I don’t believe them.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I feel like they’re telling me no just to make me feel ok about the situation

I guess asking someone really close to you might help. sometimes you can take a cotton tip and swab your tongue, let it dry and see how does it smell. Sometimes people are just more conscious about themselves. If you start chewing mint gum or other sugar free gums which can leave a pleasant taste and smell and increase your fluid intake, you will slowly and gradually over come this. some people have just reduced salivary production and chewing gums and lozenges is an easy way of increasing salivary productions nd keeping your tongue moist.

I hope this answers your question.

If you are happy with the response, Can I ask you to take some time to rate the consultation? Your feedback is very important for my professional growth and also for the fact that until you have rated the consultation we do not get paid for our work.

This does not mean that your query gets closed after that. You can come back as many times as you like through the thread and ask me further questions regarding this problem.

Best wishes and good luck.

Dr Khan

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Do you know why I constantly have a metallic taste in my mouth ? It’s extremely bad and makes me even more paranoid about my breath

usuallly happens secondary to dehydration and certain medications. when you are stressed your oral mucosa gets dry which produces this taste.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Yeah I figured it was to do with my anxiety, I am on amitriptyline now which has helped the taste in my mouth loads as the medication helps my anxiety, thank u so much I think my first next step it to go to the go and have my stool sampled and see if they can help me
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Go to the doctors I mean
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
then I think I need therapy help to over come my worrying about my breath being bad

yes absolutely. that's the right direction to go.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I forgot to mention I suffer with my sinuses, why would that affect my breath ?

chronic sinusitis can also cause it. regular steam inhalation can help in that regard.