DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have been prescribed Nortriptyline by my neurologist

Hi, I have been prescribed Nortriptyline by my neurologist because I am experiencing intense muscle pain. But it seems to be an antidepressant too. I'm concerned about taking it. Is there anything to worry about?
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, when were you prescribed Nortriptyline? How severe were any side effects?
Customer: I was prescribed this medication yesterday and I haven't taken it yet.
JA: Thanks for that. Have you used anything besides Nortriptyline for this?
Customer: Nothing yet.
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: No nothing to note.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Great!

What exactly is your concern about Nortriptyline?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My concern is that I am taking an antidepressant that I don't want to take. The packaging says Allegron Nortriptyline 10 mg. When I've searched this online everything that I've read says this is used for depression. Can this also be used as a muscle relaxant too?

Thanks for the details

This is not only used for Depression

It is also used for neuralgic pain

Secondly the dose you have been given is a small one and usually this low dose is not sufficient in depression

So you should not worry about it and start the medicine as advised

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
First of all, I appreciate your help. I just have a few more questions. What type of dosage would be prescribed for someone who is using this drug for depression? Is there any chance that I may experience the side effects associated with Nortriptyline?

For depression usually 25mg every 6-8 hourly is used

There is a chance that you may experience some side effects

These can include dryness of mouth,fatigue,somnolence,confusion,tachycardia,blurring of vision etc

But with a low dose the chances are less to develop these side effects

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
You've been very helpful. But how is it that a small change in dosage can treat something so vastly different as neuralgic pain and depression?

Actually there are changes in various chemicals at various dose

A simple example is Aspirin,in low dose it has anti-platelet effect and once you increase the dose the effect become anti-inflammatory

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
At this dosage, would I experience any withdrawal symptoms if I stopped taking it eventually?

Any dose can give withdrawal once you used it for more than a month

But at higher dose the withdrawal may be more severe

At 10 mg gaily the chances of any severe withdrawal effect are less

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It's used for nerve pain but does it act as a muscle relaxant at all?

It is not specifically used for this indication but if the cause of muscle pain and stiffness is related to nerve then it can be helpful

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Final question. Does this medication help to heal the nerve or just diminish pain?

It basically help in pain relief

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I gave you a five star rating. Thanks for all of your help.

You are welcome