Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have a concern about my period, My period is almost

Hi i have a concern about my period
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: My period is almost finished , i barley bled today at all. Normally when this happens it continutes to be light for a few days. But i am not bleeding bright red fresh blood almost like a nose bleed which is not normal for me and hasnt ever happened me before
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
i am now bleeding bright red fresh blood

Good morning, I am Dr Elliot

Are you normally regular? Are you having more pain/discomfort compared to your normal period?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
totally regular always. Im in no more pain due to my period i will say i have a bad pain in my lower left back but its not a period cramp. Like the fact i barely bled yesterday as i was coming off and then last night was bleeding fresh bright red blood which was not period blood has never happened and i dont know what could cause this

Thank you. More personal sorry, but have you had unprotected sex since your period the month before?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No, im a virgin so i know its not an STI
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I know i will probably have to go and get checked because it’s impossible to know over the phone i just dont want to unless absolutely necessary due to covid. So i was just wondering is their any circumstance it could be normal even though i feel like its not or anything it could be

Thanks, ***** ***** questioning an early pregnancy, not an STI.

So it can be normal for this to happen. A period can occur but sometimes if there is not a significant hormonal response then you get a very light bleed, this can then lead to a heavier bleed with some cramps.

If it is mild then you can treat it as a normal period, otherwise ibuprofen (as long as you can take it) would be useful for the pain.

If it continues and gets heavier greater than 7 days then I would consider speaking with your GP as medication can help with this. However I suspect that your next period is likely to return back to normal

Sorry, just read your last message - yes, I think this is a normal variation of your period. If it happened over a few periods then an ultrasound would be wise but I do not think you need this currently and wouldn't be concerned

Does that help?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Brilliant thanks a mil have a good day!

Not a problem

Please could you kindly rate my response, this allows me to be credited for answering questions, thank you