Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I have had pain in my foot for the last two weeks but know

I have had pain in my foot for the last two weeks but know it’s more severe and swollen, I have suffered with gout a few times in the past and the pain is similar to that but it’s not in my toes
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, how long have you had the pain? Have you used any medication for it?
Customer: Approximately 2 weeks, I did take ibuprofen which slightly helped
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a doctor about the pain?
Customer: No
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: I have had gout 3 times in the past, I have be diagnosed with prostate cancer

Good morning, I am Dr Elliot

Are you able to share a photo of your foot please?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I will take one now

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
File attached (Q55G754)
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Text will be fine

Thank you. Sorry the phone call is automated. Where on your foot is it painful?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Mostly on the outer edge and ankle

So this is a less common area to experience gout, but not impossible

Is the skin more red over your foot compared with the other? And do you think it feels warmer?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
It’s red mottled and my foot is warmer to the touch, I have had gout previously 3 times and feels similar apart from no pain in my toes

My concern is that there could be a soft tissue infection/cellulitis that may require antibiotics instead of pain relief for gout

Would you be able to attend a walk in centre to have someone look at this? I can look what is available in your area if you like

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I can

Excellent. So given your history gout is more likely but a soft tissue infection could continue to worsen. They should be able to decide by examining the foot, but even if antibiotics are not required then they could give you something stronger for the gout

Please could you kindly rate my response to your question, this is the only way I can be credited for providing answers

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

My pleasure, I hope you get seen soon