Elliot Ruff
Elliot Ruff,
Experience:  GP at Whitstable Medical Practice
108371854

I've been really anxious recently that I have Lymphoma. A

I've been really anxious recently that I have Lymphoma. A range of symptoms have led me to feel like this, I have a pain in the right side of my chest that won't go away after 2 weeks that hurts more when I cough/sneeze etc. I've also had a mild cough for some time now that I've put down to my hayfever for a while but I just can't believe it could be that causing it. I've not noticed any visible node swelling bit I'm worried that it could be because the nodes that are swollen are in my chest. I had a blood test done a few months ago that came back normal apart from a slight abnormality with my thyroid but I know lymphoma often doesn't present itself in routine blood tests. Any advice please

Good afternoon, I am Dr Elliot and hope that I can help

What reason are you concerned this is Lymphoma? Have you had it before or is their a family history?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No no family history. The real concern I may have it just comes from googling my symptoms which I know is irresponsible
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I just can't find any explanation for my chest pains and cough really

I can understand that, but it certainly will aggravate anxiety

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I know but my GP is very dismissive of it being anything serious so I take to googling as a result

So the fact that the pain is right sided and you have a cough suggests that this could be costochondritis. This can be from a viral infection causing inflammation of some of the ribs and surrounding tissue. A cough under 6 weeks if you are well with it is considered benign. However should be investigated if you are coughing anything up or feel short of breath. But if a cough persists after 6 weeks then you should let your GP know.

Your symptoms certainly do not sound sinister and Lymphoma would not be on my list of differentials so far

Does that help provide some reassurance?

I would be happy to speak if you like, but appreciate that this service is not free

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It's okay thank you, ***** ***** fine. I have considered costachondritas as a possible cause but these symptoms have been ongoing since February which is well over 6 weeks

That’s okay. It can cause pain for months before settling down

In the absence of lymph nodes then Lymphoma is very unlikely

Why don’t you request a GP appt as this is ongoing and a worry for you. I think it would be reasonable for them to offer you an appointment

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay thank you. Is it not possible for lymphs to be invisible though to the eye e.g. if they were in the chest
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I am going to call the gp on Monday

That is very rare and your symptoms are not suggestive of that

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Oh okay thank you

I really don’t think this is anything sinister

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
You have really helped to put my mind at rest thank you so much you have been fantastic

That’s my pleasure, I would explain what is on the back of your mind when you speak with your GP though, it’s easy as a doctor to treat the symptoms and forget there is someone attached to them

Please could I kindly ask that you rate my response, thank you