Dr. Ben
Dr. Ben, Doctor
Experience:  GP Partner, practicing Medicine for 14 years. I have broad experience with special interests in Dermatology, Paediatrics, Sexual Health and Oncology.
105673646

I have this feeling of a lump in my throat when I swallow

I have this feeling of a lump in my throat when I swallow Sylvia it feels like a big lump and when I eat food the lump isn’t there but I feel like my food is getting stuck I suffer from sever health anxiety and my mother does of esphosagal cancer it is stressing me out very much
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I had this in January that lasted about 2/3 weeks it completely went and now it’s come back the last day
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: Iam on laspronzanol

Hello, thank you for your question. I’m Dr. Ben and I’m here to assist you today. Please allow me a few moments to review your question and I’ll be right back.

If you receive an invitation for a phone call, please know this is automatically generated by the site and has not come from me. Feel free to ignore it.

May I ask:

- How old are you?

- Are you male or female?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Iam 31 and female
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Iam constantly clearing my throat a lot too

Have you experienced any:

- voice hoarseness?

- acid reflux?

- neck pain/stiffness?

- neck lumps?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No I used to get terrible heart burn but my tablets have compelty stopped that now I once or twice can still get a bit of heartburn that makes me a bit sick in the mouth but that’s very rare to happen the past 2 days I have had a weird taste in my mouth this has now gone

How long has the heartburn been under control for now?

What dose of Lansoprazole do you take?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It’s been under control for about 4 months now it’s 30 mg one a day
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Since I’ve been on the tablets I’ve had heartburn probably twice
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The lump Is there when I swallow salvia when I eat it goes

Okay, thank you.

I don’t think there is any to worry about here, the two most common reasons for this symptom are “Laryngopharyngeal reflux” i.e. acid irritating the larynx (can be ‘silent’ with no or minimal overt symptoms of reflux) and “Globus Hystericus” i.e. stress/anxiety causing muscular tension around the throat (particularly the cricopharangeal muscle). These can also co-exist and the symptom is often reinforced by anxiety as to the cause of it.

I suggest taking your Lansoprazole twice daily and also a dose of Gaviscon liquid before bed for 2 weeks.

Also do some regular muscle relaxation exercises as detailed here:

https://www.hey.nhs.uk/patient-leaflet/globus-sensation/

Is there anything else you would like to ask me?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
you don’t think it’s anything sinister thank you ever so much I really appreciate your help

No, I really don’t think it’s anything sinister.

You’re very welcome, all the best.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you so much