DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I've had a bad cold sore 8 weeks ago on my top lip and a bit

HiI've had a bad cold sore 8 weeks ago on my top lip and a bit of the skin above it. I used zovirax externally 2 weeks course and acyclovir 2 week course to treat it. The actual sore improved, the blister stopped weeping, the scab formed and flaked off within 3 weeks but the redness is still lingering. I rung the doctors that put me through a pharmacist who told me to use hydrocortisone 1% cream. I used it for a week as he recommended but it still didn't go away. That was two weeks ago. I also had a new flare up three days ago. Also on the top of my lip symmetrical on both sides. It looks different to a cold sore in that it was onlt some redness and skin flaking. Home remedies I've tried so far:
Aloe vera (not much help)
Tea tree oil (irritated it)
Manuka oil (helps healing where the sore is but seem to irritate the new flare up)
Coconut oil (irritated it)
Almond oil (seems to sooth it at the moment)I'm worried if this is still unresolved herpes/cold sore and can be transmitted to my partner who does not have herpes.Is it contagious and am I able to kiss my partner?
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: 8 weeks The redness doesn't go away
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: I suffer regularly with cold sores

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Please attach a picture of the sore for review

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The redness where the sore cold was
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The new irritation on the top lip. This is appeared 3 days ago and is not a cold sore

Thanks for sharing

There is no active sore in the images you sent

This is just a redness from local skin inflammation

You should just apply Sudocrem over it

This will get better in a couple of weeks

There is nothing to worry at all and this is not infectious

Please do let me know if you have any other question

Do you have any other question?

If done please leave a 5-stars feedback rating

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for this. I highly appreciate it.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Doctor EhtishamAs soon as my cold sore healed I've got a very painful whitehead just above my lip that I've squeezed. It didn't pop fully and was painful for couple of days. Now the pain went away but the whitehead is still there and also I found few smaller spots just under it now on the lip again. Are these cold sores? Please could you advise me for a better course of action for both the spot and what potentially might be a cold sore?Thanks
Sandra

Can you please share a picture ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
This is how it looks now. The spot I've squeezed at the top and therr few small bumps just another it.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
This how the spot looked before I've squeezed it.

Thanks for the details

It seems like a cold sore

You need to use Acylovir for this

Hopefully that will clear the area

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have another cosultation and the doctor said to you use a mix of hydrocortisone and acyclovir. Is that something you would advise too?

Yes that is perfectly fine to use