Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

For the last three days, I have been experiencing an urgent

For the last three days, I have been experiencing an urgent urge to pass motions but nothing is happening. I have experienced this before some 10 years ago and it was very scary. I have taken Movicol sachets, 4 times yesterday and 2 today, but still no result. The Pharmacist in Boots Teehey lane advised taking Dulcolax when I goto bed, as well. I have read the instructions Nd they advise not to take it if one has an obstruction bowel problem. I feel so uncomfortable now. Please can you advise.
JA: The Doctor can help. To begin, have you used Dulcolax or anything similar before?
Customer: Yes I have. More usually, the Movicol which I was prescribed the last time this happened.
JA: Thanks for that. Have you seen a doctor about this?
Customer: No, because the Surgery is shut.
JA: Thank you so much for your answers. Finally, is there anything else in your medical history the Doctor should know?
Customer: It will be in my medical records that I have experienced this before, albeit, years ago. I currently take Atorvastatin, Certirizine and Omeprazole now and again for reflux problems. My Mum died of Ovarian Cancer when I was 10, 65 years ago. This is always at the back of my mind.

This is called tenesmus. You may consider either a home-use enema or /Dulcolax suppository.

The following measures in the long term will help you;

1) Increased fluids

2) Prune juice and dried plums

3) Increased fiber; preparation like Benefiber can be tried.

4) An herbal tea, "Smooth Move," has been found to have a good result in moving the bowel.

5) Toilet after meals; Toileting 15 to 30 minutes after eating makes use of the gastrocolic reflex. The gastrocolic reflex results in propagating spikes in the colon and rectum within a half an hour after a meal. When we eat, our stomach distends and this sends reflex signals to the large intestines (colon) facilitating for their movements. If one utilizes the next half hour of a meal, for the toilet, the stool elimination time is decreased.

6) Increase in exercise

7) Stimulant laxatives stimulate intestinal motility and increase intestinal secretion. They are anthraquinones (cascara, aloe, and senna) and diphenyl methanes (bisacodyl, sodium picosulfate, phenolphthalein). These may be avoided more than twice a week, though they are effective but can be harmful in the long term.

8) Avoidance of stress

9) Wheat bran, 20 gms per day can decrease the rectal transit time

10) Vegetables,

11) Fruits (especially dried fruits)

12) Cereals like whole wheat, bran or oatmeal

13) Celery

14) Grainy bread, such as whole wheat, rye or pumpernickel

15) Legumes, such as chickpeas, baked beans, and lima beans

16) You can try ground flaxseed sprinkled on salads, cooked vegetables, and cereals.

Foods which cause constipation and should be avoided are;

Ice cream

Cheese

Meat / Red meat

Chips, cookies, and pizza

Pastries

Foods that contain white flour

Pasta

Junk food or fast food

Banana.

Was this information helpful to you?

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
up to a point, but I have been doing much of what is advised and having mo result as yet. Having experienced this before, I am concerned that it will get worse before I can see a Doctor next week.

Please do not worry about what would happen as that would further augment your symptoms.

There is a medical saying, "Intestine Mimics the mind."

So relaxation is the key here for early resolution.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I would value a phone call, but I have just had an alert from my Bank casting doubt on the payment which has been taken out of my bank. Please advise
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your advice. I do hope it does not get worse in the meantime.

Apologies for any intrusion of those automatic offers for phone calls. These are produced by the website automatically and outside of my control.

financial matters are seen by the site administration.

We experts do not know about it.

I will call you on face time audio or What's app call in 3-4 minutes.

Do you have a cell number?

Are you on what's app?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I received a ring tone but there was no answer. The no given *****************. Is this a relevant no for the Doctor?

The number is *****

But I can just do facetime audio or what's app audio.

It is saying call failed on what's app call.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am sorry but I can’t access Whats App or the Facetime as my devices are not compatible. I think I will have to cancel the phone call and just hope that your advice will work for me. Thank you for your time. P. Hughes.

You are very welcome.

You may cancel the call.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.